5 Steps to 964 Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
are these the records prior to your purchase? it stops in 2007.

costs from 2003 to 2007 look very reasonable
Yeah, I included what records I had before purchase. Not complete, but tell a lot of the story. The total at the top right is my total, however. I'm about to add another $500 to it for rear wheel bearings (installed).

Here is "my" end of the records...
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Makmov
Awe come on. It could always be worse. You could have bought a Ferrari. I just looked at a Testarossa that just had a 30K service done on it. The bill was $18k.
Oh I know! I've been "trying out" new mechanics. One guy I met works on Ferraris and old British cars as well. Some of the horror stories he told me put anything I've gone through with Pcars to shame.

It helps me feel better, but there's still that considerable reduction in my savings account that reminds me of this pain I've gone through. But eventually that hole will be filled again, too.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 1993 C2 in 2007, I spent 10K U$S the first 2 years of ownership, and with no problem at all with engine, clutch, gearbox, interior or exterior parts,mostly catch up maintenance, tyres, brakes, wheels and solving electrical problems (I am on 3rd new battery now) things keep breaking but at a slower rate ( broken half axle CV is last issue) I still love the car - I went to work today with the 964 despite having a new DD - and wouldn´t dream of selling it go figure!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM
92silver964
Racer

Cheer up, mate. You have a very nice looking car. Love that unique color (what is it?). I'm sure your issues will all settle down soon. Relax and enjoy.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, it's an awesome color. Wine perhaps.

It always seems worse in the begining. who puts money into a car they are selling unless they have to so stuff gets neglected. You are just playing catch-up now from the PO.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Wow, and I thought my 968 had cost me a lot. I've spent more in 5 years on maintenance than I paid for it and driven it 5000 miles. That comes to about 3 bucks a mile not counting the cost of the car. At least your 964 is worth something though.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:35 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug&Julie,

has the car really been that much of a financial disaster? for example ... very approx figures ... but you'll understand my point ..

your situation -> cheap 964 = $11k + repairs $9k = $20k
alternative view -> average/good 964 = $16k + repairs $4k = $20k

And it would have pretty easy to spend $4k repairs even on a great 964 with an unlucky breakage! Just a thought but if you look at it differently it might feel better.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

I have been curious reading your 964 experience and dug up your old threads when you were buying the car .... Here is some interesting info that was advised to you prior to your purchase:

-nick -> This sounds like a $20k car after the maintenance.

joey bagadonuts -> As for cost on top of purchase, possibly $5K but expect $10K.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sml
has the car really been that much of a financial disaster? for example ... very approx figures ... but you'll understand my point ..

your situation -> cheap 964 = $11k + repairs $9k = $20k
alternative view -> average/good 964 = $16k + repairs $4k = $20k

And it would have pretty easy to spend $4k repairs even on a great 964 with an unlucky breakage! Just a thought but if you look at it differently it might feel better.
No my disappointment isn't toward the total money spent, it's more in the reality versus expectations side. I knew when I bought the car I'd have to put a little money into it. I've just gone way over what I expected.

The other disappointment is that no matter how much I put into this car, it'll still only be worth the low - mid teens. So if I ever truly have to get out of it, I'll lose my shirt.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Makmov
...who puts money into a car they are selling...
I do. Well at least I make sure the car I'm selling is "good to go". I won't sell anyone a POS, I just can't. The way I look at it, I'm either a) working with someone "in the community" or b) I'm inviting someone "into the community" and I want their experience to be the best as possible. I've loved owning and driving Porsches over the years, I'd hate to be the one resoponsible for souring that experience all together. If this weren't Pcar number 13, I'd write them off forever. But from experience I know this is just one bad example.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 92silver964
Cheer up, mate. You have a very nice looking car. Love that unique color (what is it?).
Thanks! It's Red Velvet Metallic.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sml
I have been curious reading your 964 experience and dug up your old threads when you were buying the car .... Here is some interesting info that was advised to you prior to your purchase:

-nick -> This sounds like a $20k car after the maintenance.

joey bagadonuts -> As for cost on top of purchase, possibly $5K but expect $10K.
Yep. I knew better. I put the biggest blame on myself for sure. That's why I've spent a lot of time in steps 2 and 3 (anger and depression).
Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
The other disappointment is that no matter how much I put into this car, it'll still only be worth the low - mid teens. So if I ever truly have to get out of it, I'll lose my shirt.
Then you've just got make sure that you get a few good years of value out of the car first before you think about selling.

Anyway, as a 964 owner for 1 mth, I need to stop reading about 964 repair prices as it is starting to stress me out! The last hour I have been thinking about buying a 240 volvo and leaving the 964 in the garage!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sml
Then you've just got make sure that you get a few good years of value out of the car first before you think about selling.
Yep, that's where we are now. It's part of step 5.

Originally Posted by sml
Anyway, as a 964 owner for 1 mth, I need to stop reading about 964 repair prices as it is starting to stress me out!
I wish I could give you better anectdotal evidence, but I'm the wrong person to promote 964 love at this point. See me again in a few years if I still have the car.

Originally Posted by sml
The last hour I have been thinking about buying a 240 volvo and leaving the 964 in the garage!
We prefer Subies. They compliment Pcar ownership nicely. Can't be stopped by any weather and never break down.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:15 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by sml

Anyway, as a 964 owner for 1 mth, I need to stop reading about 964 repair prices as it is starting to stress me out! The last hour I have been thinking about buying a 240 volvo and leaving the 964 in the garage!
Exactly!

I found a leak on my car soon after I purchased it...just a small drop after it sat for a couple days. I used to monitor it for months. I literal looked under the car everyday for almost a year...putting new cardboard under the car and checking the location and amount. It really, really stressed me out. The car ran very strong with no smoke and was just a joy to drive. Inisde myself, I feared the worst and it really sucked the joy out of the ownership experience (I think it's a leaky oil pressure sender O ring - something I'll fix one day with RL help). What had I done to myself...my family?!

Then after a year of living with this fear I decided to just enjoy every day with the car and stop worrying. That change took a lot of pressure off of me. I'm far from rich (have two small kids!) and I have to be prudent with my (family’s) money…on that note too many people just talk $s and what will my car be worth when I sell?

That’s just too calculated for something that’s a want, not a need…

Here’s my math:
If I start off with $20,000 (purchase + repairs) in a good driver and have to sell it after 5 years for a huge loss, say $10,000. Then the car cost me 2k a year (drastically simplifying here)…for that cost I pay for the pleasure of: being able to good out into the garage and look at my car (I still do that a couple times a week), going on MANY epic road trips with other P-cars, finding a new hobby. Owning this car has just been too much fun and the hypothetical $2k loss per year is cheap compared to the emotional payback! Many times over! Think what people lose on their new car purchase..

The more miles I drive my car, the more 911 miles I’ve driven (I’m at 25,000 miles). I’ve wanted to have this experience all of my life…the cost is real, but if I attach emotion to the experience it’s been a cheap thrill!

Maybe having kids just before buying my car has soften me a bit, you just can’t look at everything as a cost/investment…though it’s tricky to quantify I just worry about quality of life instead.

Obviously I’m a design guy not an accountant!

Quick Reply: 5 Steps to 964 Ownership