Originally Posted by RacinToday
OK, at risk of exposing self: WOT?
Oh boy...you're exposed!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I have been running the Sumi's for 3 years on my 996. Great tires for the money but they will howl just like all the others...just give them 4 to 6 months of daily driving.
Are you referring to the Z II or Z III? Apparently the IIIs are far quieter.

If you have 18", I would highly recommend the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics. Better than the CSC3s, and far quieter. Also quite the value for money.

Last edited by ACSGP; 09-09-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sumitomo's are good value for money for initial layout but they lose a lot of grip after first third of the tread is gone.
Fine if you are not a spirited driver.
As above, if you read the independant tyre tests, The Good Year asymetrics are a very good tyre. There are many good Bridgestones for good money here in Oz, one called the Adrenelin but not sure what equivalent is in US. If you aren't worried about a little noise. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's Starspecs are amazing. Phenomenal grip.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 AM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had great luck with my last set of Pirelli P7s (wore them down to the bone) and will buy them again after I burn up my Pilot Sports.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Are you referring to the Z II or Z III? Apparently the IIIs are far quieter.
III's Grip is fine for my DD and as opposed to others I find the wet grip fine also. But noise is the same as every other brand I have tried. My car has nearly 90,000 miles so it gets driven and unfortunately I speak from experience.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have about 5-6K miles on my set of Sumi HTRZ-III's. They are still very quiet and comfortable on the street. I have used them in 2 DE's and they are OK, but my gut (butt?) feel is that I liked the old Bridgestone S03's I used for the past 2 years on street and track. I will be using these tires for a DE at Watkins Glen and maybe one DE at Putnam Park this year, and I suspect they will be finished by the time to put the winter tires on. So, probably these tires get an "8" for value and comfort, but perhaps a "5" on Spirit. Next year I may try something else. (I should have bought the set of Dunlop Direzza's from DavisRiley... dangit)
BTW, I also have a set of Yokohama's on my other set of rims and they are very "crap my wheel bearings are $hot" loud. I'm a cheap bastard, so I put them on the car every once in a while to use them up. I ran one day of DE on them, trying to compare them to the Sumi's I used on the other day - hard to tell a difference, especially at my level of competency on the track; but I did manage to spin the car in T2 at Putnam with the Yoko's and while driving Flat Out.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm currently running Yokohama Neova AD08's and they are phenomonal. I've moved to a street tire class in autocrossing and love these tires. They are superior to many of the older design "R" tires I've used in the past.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

There are lots of great tires out there (pick your brand, spend your money).... but I'm completely amazed by these tires.

I have 10,000 miles on my tires and they are still quiet, have lots of tread left, and grip really, really well in all conditions on the road.
You will not waste money buying these (street) tires! There are better tires out there, but you will spend $$$$$.

I switched after I quickly wore through by Bridgestone OS 2s (N3) tires.

After 10,000 fun miles with these HTR ZIIIs, I'll send the money I've saved on tires on maintenance parts and other upgrades.
There are many other battles for my money...
Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with 911Jetta. I put these on my WRX last year and 12k miles later I'm still very pleased with the grip and the noise level.

Quick Reply: New Tyres - Sumitomo HTR ZIII