Sponsored by:

Project Shrek: Seat woes and missing part

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Project Shrek: Seat woes and missing part

My super-duper seat project has taken a setback: While everything was rosy on the passenger side, I encountered some trouble on the driver side:

-recline switch works but is reversed (down on the switch brings the back up and vice-versa)

-Lumbar support "volume" is reversed as well.

-Lumbar support height blows the seat fuse every time.

I removed the seat and reversed the cables at the connections under the seat for the relevant switches, which sorted the reversed functions, but I also checked that the short is not in the switch, so that means taking the backrest apart
There is a silver lining, though, check out the replacement I fitted for the time being.

And, extra question: what am I missing in front of the trunk to snap the carpet onto on the right side?

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you are missing on the right side of the front trunk I'm missing on both right and left sides.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

George,
I'd love to try and switch the driver's side seat back for the passenger's side seat back.

Could you take a couple extra pictures that might show how it's done...or at the very last let us know if there are any special tricks...I'm worried about messing something up with the seat back (tilt) release cable. Is it very tricky? (as in, there's a tiny spring in there somewhere that wants to immediately pop out an fly across the garage, etc.)

My driver's seat still looks pretty good, but I'm sure the passenger seat has about 10% of the seat time compared the driver's side. I think I could get some extra mileage out of my seats switching the seat backs...

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Swapping seat backs:

First make sure you have the same options on both seat backs. Heating/lumbar/recline, or any combination; otherwise the electrics won't work.

Then remove the seats. invest in a very good 6mm allen, and clean the heck out of the bolts. when all 6 allens are removed (4 in back, 2 in front), tilt the seat a bit and remove the electrical connections (2 on the driver side, 1 on the passenger side). Keep the seat far forward on the rails, to assist with refitting and to have a stable base when working on the workbench.

Then it is rather simple.
1.hinge covers: 2 Philips screws, and slide backwards.

2. electric recline if applicable (circled in blue) (if not, skip). Take a 3mm allen to the pivot of the hinge and inside the hole is a bolt. Take it out, then screw a longer 4mm bolt and pull the square pin out. Don't lose the rubber washer.

3.Back tilt release (circled green): simple circlip, with a plate and a tubular washer under the plate.

4.backrest bolts (circled in red), 14mm, 2 each side.

5.electrics, under the seat. Name each from 1 to whatever. You can check by the color of the wires too.

6.Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly (famous last words). Take an adustable wrench on the square hinge pin to align it between the hinge hole and teh backrest adjust mechanism inside the seatback. A flashlamp helps a lot to look in to the axis hole.

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Thank you George!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM
passion911
Instructor

I'm bringing this back to life because I have a similar luggage mystery that I'd like to solve.

The right side of my luggage area may also be missing a piece but what seems unique is that I have one snap there already but the carpet on that side has no snaps and no evidence of ever having any snaps. The left side piece is there with 3 snaps and the carpet also has 3 snaps. I'm wondering if I'm really missing something or if my car was produced in between changing over to velcro or something.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by passion911
I'm bringing this back to life...
I'm glad you did (but for a different reason) because I forgot all about the help George posted in this thread regarding switching seatbacks!

I just completed the switch a roo this past weekend. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-feeling.html

Thanks again George!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
passion911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I'm glad you did (but for a different reason) because I forgot all about the help George posted in this thread regarding switching seatbacks!

I just completed the switch a roo this past weekend. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-feeling.html

Thanks again George!
D'oh! Well, glad I could be of help.
Btw, nice color

Quick Reply: Project Shrek: Seat woes and missing part