Sponsored by:

OT: Learning to fly....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Learning to fly....

Any 964 owners that are also pilots? I'm 6hrs into getting my private pilot's license and am having a blast. Trying to resist going in on a plane with a few others.....and the slippery slope continues!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 499 Posts

350 Hours PPL/Instrument. Starting to fly multi-engine with some friends. It's indeed a slippery slope. Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Thanks, ultimately want to be able to fly the family on trips.....lots of hours before that can happen, but I'm having a blast learning.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sold the 964, but have had two of them so I still feel like part of the 964 community. I've been flying for the better part of twenty years in various helicopters and am looking at a multi-engine fixed wing transition later this year. Flying is a great past time or profession and can be a very humbling at times. I'm sure you've probably already heard this, but remember Take-offs are optional but landings are mandatory. Set yourself up with sound pre-flight planning and don't push weather, fuel, maintenance or the myriad of other traps that will kill you. Best of luck as you continue in your training!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Lil bastard
User

Flew quite a bit many years ago courtesy of the Taxpayer and the USN, a little under 4100 Hrs., about 400 of which is private single/multi engine. Did 5 West Pacs and a stint at Pax River. Still have my PPL/single/multi/instrument, not rich enough to keep my turbine ratings.

I still remember when my logbook had under 100 Hrs. and the feeling of exhilaration I had on every hop. It's great to hear your enthusiasm come through your post!

What with PC's and sims today, the training is much improved since my solo at 16. Absorb all you can, pay particular attention to NAV, COM and Instrument instruction, these will serve you well.

Most of all, as a newby, beware of overconfidence, be your own worst critic. NEVER think that you're finished learning - that's the fastest way I know of to become a Ground Nail.

The sage words of my old Naval Flight Instructor still ring in my head everytime I go up: "Gentlemen (Pointing down)... This is the ground. All flights initiate and terminate here... How they terminate here is 100% determined by your skill, judgement and focus..."

Cheers!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-28-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/u...ne-500x375.jpg
Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I started lessons last September, bought a Cessna 182 last October and here I am a 300hr PP insturment rated working on my commercial...it is a slippery slope...looking for a turbo G36 Bonanza now...

ultimately want to be able to fly the family on trips.....lots of hours before that can happen,
It will come quickly, I started family trips at about 100hrs.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I started lessons last September, bought a Cessna 182 last October and here I am a 300hr PP insturment rated working on my commercial...it is a slippery slope...looking for a turbo G36 Bonanza now...
Wow!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep alot of pcar guys are into aircraft, some like attraction there... sel/Mel/inst/Heli plus some type ratings. It's a rewarding experience, but you have to be vigilant, few "hobbies" can bite you like flying, good and bad, it is a slippery glideslope...

Geoffrey, good for you, congrats on the ratings and glad to see you knocking out the hours!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Good luck, study hard!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,698 Posts

SEL commercial, instrument rated. Got my private on 2/2/2002 at 2:00 !!!!

I always wanted to do it. Finally decided to after getting sick of driving 100's of miles or multi legged commercial flights. Now I usually fly myself often on my customers dime and its a direct flight, usually closer to the meeting.

I am a conservative pilot, but excercise extreme caution when flying my family, filing IFR even on vfr days.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, as always. Anyway, had a chance to fly this yesterday which was fun. Had my best landing yet (so smooth!) and then the nose wheel went flat on the taxi back around so I was the laugh of the airport anyway....took some ribbing for "popping" the wheel. Can't win
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

~350hrs here, mostly in the green thing in my avatar.

My love of aviation is wildly different than my love of cars. I (obviously) love fast cars...but not airplanes. I'll put around in an 85hp Champ doing 70mph all day long, and love every second of it! You get to see the world around you much more clearly at 500' AGL than you do at 170kts at 10,000'. I had the speed bug in airplanes originally, but realized I still prefer driving to a destination than flying. I eventually started missing all the interesting stuff in between where you takeoff and where you land. Different strokes for different folks!

I'm also an ATC student at a medium-size airport northwest of Pittsburgh. A new pilot's worst enemy

BTW, to the OP: get your tailwheel endorsement when you can. Even if you never fly another one afterwords, you'll develop a nuance for what's really going on in the airplane you're flying. Its a bit like the 911 of airplanes, the CG is wellll behind you, and it WANTS to be in front (only unlike in a 911, it doesn't care if you're on the throttle, off, in between, or what. One second of inattention and you'll be wondering why you're going down the runway backwards). You'll fly the airplane "all the way to the hangar", and thats a good thing...even in a nosewheel. Spins, glider, and aerobatics training are all close on the list as well - they all teach you things about unusual attitudes and situations that could save your life. Remember, your PPL is only a "license to learn".
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yup + 1 on the tailwheel, and get some unusual attitude and spin recovery, still can't believe they don't teach it anymore... But it's alot like track driving, understanding the edge of the envelope will help you know when you are about to get in trouble and how to get out of it. Low and slow is the best kind of flying! That's why I got the helicopter rating, about the most fun you can have with your feet off the ground... The little diamond is a fun little plane.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Yup + 1 on the tailwheel, and get some unusual attitude and spin recovery, still can't believe they don't teach it anymore...
They do in the military,...

Quick Reply: OT: Learning to fly....