Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal to the floor - no stop!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:58 AM
JBurer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pedal to the floor - no stop!

I had the master cylinder fail on me while driving home the other day. No real warning, just foot to the floor!

Luckily, I wasn't in bad traffic or driving aggressively and was able to get the car stopped without any incidents. What surprised me was the lack of symptoms before the failure.

Have many others seen a 'no warning' failure of the brake master cylinder?
Best,
John
'91 Turbo (56k miles)
Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I am glad you got through this unscathed. I can think of times when that exact scenario would be fatal. Was there no prior warning? Great brakes and suddenly none?

It is a dual-circuit system, so a single hydraulic failure should leave you with brakes on two wheels. The only credible "pedal-to-the-floor, no brake action" I can think of is a mechanical failure of the linkage from the brake pedal, or a fracture of the brake pedal hinge pin. Please post what caused this, including pictures of the failed parts. I will be driving more carefully until I find out!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
JBurer
Advanced

Actually, now that you mention it, I may have just had failure on the front brakes. Mashing the pedal to the floor gave perhaps 5 or 10% of the systems normal stopping power. Not enough to stop the car at any significant speed, but sufficient to safely limp the car to a shop for diagnosis (ie. a 20mph crawl).

Sounds like I may have seen failure on the circuit controlling the front wheels.

I should have the car back from the shop tomorrow - will update on what the fix was.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't braking systems designed to go at a diagonal? LF+RR and RF+LR? for that very reason?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Aren't braking systems designed to go at a diagonal? LF+RR and RF+LR? for that very reason?
Yes.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 PM
JBurer
Advanced

Picked up the car from the shop yesterday. New master cylinder fixed the issue.

Shop that did the repair supports 30 or so DE cars and several race cars. Owner tells me they've had customer cars have this failure out on the track - and recommend replacing the master cylinder every 3 years even if there haven't been any symptoms. That's for a track car.

Planning to disect the old master over the next couple days. If I find anything noteworthy, I'll share.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JBurer
Picked up the car from the shop yesterday. New master cylinder fixed the issue.

Shop that did the repair supports 30 or so DE cars and several race cars. Owner tells me they've had customer cars have this failure out on the track - and recommend replacing the master cylinder every 3 years even if there haven't been any symptoms. That's for a track car.

Planning to disect the old master over the next couple days. If I find anything noteworthy, I'll share.
Maybe if you are extremely rich
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 AM
JBurer
Advanced

Yeah, at $700 for a new master cylinder, it's not the cheapest maintenace item on the car.

On a street car, mine was good for close to 20 years. Hope to get more than 20 out of this next one!

Quick Reply: Brake pedal to the floor - no stop!