Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Manually Raise an Electric Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I Manually Raise an Electric Seat?

Morning!

I have the sport electric seats, and the front lift/height adjustment has failed and as my seat is set to the lowest setting, i would like to raise it slightly. The rear height adjustment works fine but by raising that i just feel like i am being tipped out of an OAP chair. Can i raise the seat by a method other than the electric motor can i manually wind it up?

With my recent electrical issue i don't want to go near the car wires in anyway, but wondered if there was a mechanical way of raising the seat?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose you can turn that long screw (somehow) to bring the seat up/down. I guess it will be infinitely easier to do it with the seat out.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Unkle
Pro

What long screw do you mean?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

The easiest way is probably to take the seat out and do it because there is little room to do it with the seat in place. The seat is held in place by 6 bolts with a 6mm hex head. The bolts are quite soft so use the right size tool so you don't round the head.
I found it best to take the motor out (since the cables for the front adjustment are quite short and do not flex much) and use a long flexible screwdriver with the the right size torx bit to adjust the height of the adjustable front "legs".

If you decide to install the motor/cables again you have to be careful not to fray the cables (they are expensive), make sure to have everything properly lined up.

But I would guess your seat should be easily repaired, usually it is enough to clean the contacts in the switch, it might also be the motor which also is easily repairable

Last edited by Akerlie; 08-15-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Shortly after buying my 964 the passenger seat couldn't be adjusted.
The motor was running but just no effect.
Actually it was just one of the cables that had crawled out, so it was a very easy fix.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Unkle
Pro

Found a broken cable and re attached, but the motor got very hot without the seat moving or switch being pressed. I did think about removing the seat to adjust, but as i might want to wear a crash helmet at some point i thought it probably wasn't practical to remove the seat to adjust.

But i removed the plastic cover and put a 6mm or 7mm spanner on the cable as it enters the mechanism as it has a square or hex head. Will try to adjust like that before i remove the complete seat.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Unkle; 08-15-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:52 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had luck removing one end of the the flexible shafts and connecting them to a cordless drill and twisting them electrically. Works great.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

I would not recommend using tools on the flexible shafts as they are easily damaged end expensive to replace. Learned this the hard way unfortunately

Disconnect both of the flexible shafts, check if bot of the "adjustable legs" can be moved and check if the motor turns without the shafts connected.

Quick Reply: Can I Manually Raise an Electric Seat?