Sponsored by:

Update on ISV problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on ISV problem

Just following up on my problem with car not holding idle without throttle being applied. I did find the metal clip to electrical connection but still the same problem. I then disconnected the ISV and the car actually idled good. It held idle at about 900 rpms give or take. Don't know what to make out of that. Does that mean that my ISV is shot? I think it is gunked up on the inside because there is no movement whatsoever on the inside, no rotation oranything. I dumped carb cleaner through it until it was coming out clear. I went and ordered another ISV, should be here tomorrow. I'll post the outcome.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Note that the inside movement is counter intuitive.

If you look inside there is a narrow opening. The movement is toward that opening, effectively closing the opening all together, then beyond allowing full open of the shuttle.

If you force it the wrong way (with a screw driver, for example, though I can't imagine who would do something like that!) you will break it.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that's progress then! Since the car runs smoothly, it seems to point to the ISV as an issue, whether it's gunked/broken/etc.

I had the same symptoms and I remember from my research at the time that the ISV seems to be a source of irritation for most 964 owners at some point or another. I remember seeing a post where someone actually rigged a switch to disable the ISV once the car warmed up.

I resolved my issues w/a new to me ISV, but I'm having idle hunt issues again, and it's even more pronounced now w/my LWFW setup, even with the SW chip. guess it's time for a switch, or an new ISV.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Oh, also - what necessitated the original ISV cleaning? Were you experiencing idle hunt prior to the cleaning?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Note that the inside movement is counter intuitive.

If you look inside there is a narrow opening. The movement is toward that opening, effectively closing the opening all together, then beyond allowing full open of the shuttle.

If you force it the wrong way (with a screw driver, for example, though I can't imagine who would do something like that!) you will break it.
Well I did have a screw driver in my hand along with the isv, but I swear I didn't jam that screw driver into the opening until it bent the narrow valve and it wouldn't move backwards or forward, I swear on my children as well as my grandchildren
Old 08-13-2010, 12:24 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I wonder who would do something like that...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=43271
Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shamus964
Well, that's progress then! Since the car runs smoothly, it seems to point to the ISV as an issue, whether it's gunked/broken/etc.

I had the same symptoms and I remember from my research at the time that the ISV seems to be a source of irritation for most 964 owners at some point or another. I remember seeing a post where someone actually rigged a switch to disable the ISV once the car warmed up.

I resolved my issues w/a new to me ISV, but I'm having idle hunt issues again, and it's even more pronounced now w/my LWFW setup, even with the SW chip. guess it's time for a switch, or an new ISV.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Oh, also - what necessitated the original ISV cleaning? Were you experiencing idle hunt prior to the cleaning?
Yes I did have some stalling issues, wasn't too bad but none the less. I cleaned the AFM also so I'm hoping for smooth sailing once the isv arrives tomorrow. Will post findings after I install.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Originally Posted by bcr4d
Yes I did have some stalling issues, wasn't too bad but none the less. I cleaned the AFM also so I'm hoping for smooth sailing once the isv arrives tomorrow. Will post findings after I install.
My issues started when a tech overfilled the oil, on these cars you have to really watch that you only fill to the mid-point of the dip stick with the car fully hot since any extra oil gets sucked into the intake tract and is a really bugger once inside. I had to pull apart my intake, and actually had a puddle of oil in the piece that runs between the two halves - argh!
The following users liked this post:
jon91581 (07-29-2022)
Old 08-13-2010, 05:33 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by bcr4d
Just following up on my problem with car not holding idle without throttle being applied. I did find the metal clip to electrical connection but still the same problem. I then disconnected the ISV and the car actually idled good. It held idle at about 900 rpms give or take. Don't know what to make out of that. Does that mean that my ISV is shot? I think it is gunked up on the inside because there is no movement whatsoever on the inside, no rotation oranything. I dumped carb cleaner through it until it was coming out clear. I went and ordered another ISV, should be here tomorrow. I'll post the outcome.
Well, problem solved, new ISV solved everything. Car now idles smooth and does not stall. Lesson learned, screw drivers and ISV does not belong together.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar symptoms when I purchased my 964 last year. It always idled poorly (even with a SW chip to correct LWFW) and a new ICV was recommended by this forum and others. I ordered a new one and once it was installed the idle corrected immediately. I then took the old ICV and cleaned it with 'carb cleaner' and re-insatlled and it also worked and the idle issue ceased. I kept the old one in and put up the new one. 1 year later I'm still using the old ICV but I have a new spare whenever it's needed.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Shamus964
Pro

very cool!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shamus964
very cool!