Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After changing H&R coil overs do I have to repeat the corner balance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After changing H&R coil overs do I have to repeat the corner balance?

Greetings All,

I need help and your opinion on this dilemma. I had my 964 corner balanced 2 months ago but now have leaking shocks and will be changing out the H&R coil overs. I have an extra set, so it's a bolt off, bolt on job. My question is; 'Do I have to repeat the corner balancing after this coil over swap?'
Old 08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the car should be corner balanced again as you have no means to get the weights correct otherwise.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Not to be a contrarian... but, no, you don't have to have the car corner balanced again. It all depends on how you use it... if you drive often on-track, then, yes, a second corner balance is in your future. If, however, you just use the car on the street and it seems to handle okay with the new coilovers, then you don't. This is the advice of a noted local Porsche technician, and also what you'll find in several online forums. Just set the new coilovers at roughly the same install height as the old ones. Should be fine.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

'beentherebaby' - Thanks for the post. It's not what I wanted to hear but I'll take the advice.

'Richard Curtis' - This car is used for track purpose mainly (12 Auto X's per year, 6 DE's and/or TT per year) so based on your answer you're also recommending that I repeat the corner balance.

Let me add more information to the discussion;

The replacement H&R coil overs that I'm installing are going to be temporarily used, as the original set (H&R reds) are going to be resealed/refurbished by H&R and ultimately re-installed upon return. The replacement set I'm installing are the H&R blue's and I prefer the stiffer springs due to track conditions. Therefore, should I wait until the re-install of the original H&R red to re-corner balance and thus saving $$$, instead of 2 corner balancing jobs within a 2 month period. Also, I plan on driving 1 DE/TT event with the H&R blue's because the red's won't be back in time.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Sure you can wait until you get the rebuilt shocks back and installed. Just be aware the car may drive differently and drive accordingly.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
Sure you can wait until you get the rebuilt shocks back and installed. Just be aware the car may drive differently and drive accordingly.
Thanks for your input. I will install the replacement set, drive in the DE/TT and then wait until the originals are re-installed to perform the required corner balancing.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

...and re-alignment
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by Earlydays
...and re-alignment
Yes, re-alignment with corner balancing.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:48 PM
roblav
Advanced

Corner balance - definitely. Re-alignment - probably.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by roblav
Corner balance - definitely. Re-alignment - probably.
Why do you say probably? I'm in agreement with the corner balance and just accepted 'Earlydays' suggestion on doing an alignment. Just seeking further input on why not? I'm all about saving $$$, so if you think it's not needed, please share your thoughts.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

One side note - before you pull your shocks and springs measure and record all current settings -
Then set the replacement springs at the same position or as close as possible - same same for alignment - This will probably keep you in the ball park until you reinstall the rebuilds and have everything reset correctly.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus
One side note - before you pull your shocks and springs measure and record all current settings -
Then set the replacement springs at the same position or as close as possible - same same for alignment - This will probably keep you in the ball park until you reinstall the rebuilds and have everything reset correctly.
Thanks Gus, your input is valued...

Quick Reply: After changing H&R coil overs do I have to repeat the corner balance?