Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal (RMS) Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:34 AM
flyboy1717
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal (RMS) Change

Can anyone point me to a DIY article on the RMS change. What special tools (if any) are required. I've read several great articles on dropping the engine and am almost ready to tackle that task. I'd like to find additional articles which describe the process to safely change the RMS. My searches haven't been too useful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger
'92 C2 tip
Old 08-06-2010, 07:17 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

The seal itself is easy. The boring part is to get the engine out, separate the gearbox/engine, remove the clutch and the flywheel. When you finally see the seal, just use a flat screw driver and a wise grip to get the old seal out. Just be careful so you don't make any scratches in the metal around the seal. When it's out it's easy to tap the new one in place with a soft hammer. Maybe a drop of oil around the edges to make slip in place a little easier. Done!

Thomas
Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 AM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just check on top of the engine first, I had a leak from the oil pressure sensor, which ran down and looked like the RMS was leaking. If you shine a torch between the legs of the intake plenum you will see the sensor.

Ross

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal (RMS) Change