Sponsored by:

Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Questions

I drove my wife's 964 yesterday while it was 90+ outside with high humidity. At highway speed the A/C was blowing nice and cold, but when the traffic came to crawl due to an accident, the air blowing from the A/C was as hot as outside. Is this normal?

Also, I noticed what sounds like a "Whistling" noise when the fan is on position 3 that would stop when I would turn left but comeback as I turn right (even slightly from straight position). The noise did not seem to go away by itself. Has anyone experienced this? My guess is thast it is the fan, but I cannot figure out why the fan noise may be related with the direction of the sterring wheel.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a small fan that blows air past the temperature sensor in the CCU. That one is a notorious squealer, and there is a thread on how to fix it.

It is normal for the air to blow a little warmer when idling. The compressor is turning slower, and there is less road draft through the condensor. It should be comfortable, and if it is not, there is a problem. Top candidates are:

Improper freon charge
Tired compressor
Dirt in the condensor coils
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

+1. Also, is the fan at the condensor working? If its not, that would have those symptoms too.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The a/c fans are also notorious for squealing, I have fixed both of mine, one by replacement (ouch $ 750) the other by lubrication, but back when they were noisy, if I turned the steering wheel either to the left or the right, that would make them quiet for a monent, then the "music" would start all over again. I suspect that your fans are on there way towards a bit of maintenance. My theory is that by turning the wheel you put side load on the bearings and they go quiet for a moment.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
There is a small fan that blows air past the temperature sensor in the CCU. That one is a notorious squealer, and there is a thread on how to fix it.

It is normal for the air to blow a little warmer when idling. The compressor is turning slower, and there is less road draft through the condensor. It should be comfortable, and if it is not, there is a problem. Top candidates are:

Improper freon charge
Tired compressor
Dirt in the condensor coils
This was considerably warmer to where i had to open the windows, so A/C maintanace on the list, but might have to wait until next summer as the next things are motor mounts (immediate) and 90K service is coming up. I will look into fan issues at some point.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

If your AC becomes hot when the car is stopped, the most likely cause is your front condenser fan is not running, or perhaps only intermittently running in high speed (due to failure of the ballast resistor). Easy to check - engine running, AC on, check left front for air blowing out in front of tire. Steady flow of air = good. Intermittent high speed flow = bad resistor. No flow = failed fan/fuse/relay/....
I also had a problem with my system being overfilled with refrigerant and the High Pressure switch would cycle on/off while driving, with the result of little/no cooling.

Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWS964
If your AC becomes hot when the car is stopped, the most likely cause is your front condenser fan is not running, or perhaps only intermittently running in high speed (due to failure of the ballast resistor). Easy to check - engine running, AC on, check left front for air blowing out in front of tire. Steady flow of air = good. Intermittent high speed flow = bad resistor. No flow = failed fan/fuse/relay/....
I also had a problem with my system being overfilled with refrigerant and the High Pressure switch would cycle on/off while driving, with the result of little/no cooling.

Good Luck.

x2. When I first got my 964, the a/c would only blow cold at speed, not at idle. Replaced a/c condenser fan and no more problem.

Quick Reply: Questions