Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cab top stop working

Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cab top stop working

Well, I had my car every bit of 15 days and just encountered my first problem, though not a big one. My cab top stop working. I hit the switch, the front latches do their their job and unlatches from the windsheild. Then all I hear is the motor in the rear turning but the top doesn't move. Any ideas? Also, I've read where many have converted to the manual mode by undoing the bolts on each transmission. Are their any down sides to converting to manual mode other than manually lifting and letting the top down. thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 AM
ghiaben
Track Day

Hey! Check out your motors connections with the transmissions. there is a DIY on shorten cable fix. It might be that. Get back to us with an update. Honestly the system is not that complicated.

Later!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghiaben
Hey! Check out your motors connections with the transmissions. there is a DIY on shorten cable fix. It might be that. Get back to us with an update. Honestly the system is not that complicated.

Later!
First thing in the morning. Thanks for the tip, I'll get back to you
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

There are a lot of post that relate to your problem do a search and you will find more info and repair tips to solve your problem. It is probably 1 of 2 issues - or both -- 1. cable has shortened over time 2. Side transmission box covers are loose and are letting gears spin -
Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghiaben

Later!
Well this is what I found out thus far. Motors are working perfectly, cable from motor to transmission is spinning. Took transmission apart and found that the gear that connects to the cable spins. I think my problem is that the gear that spins is out of contact with the gear that moves the top. Anyone knows how to connect these gears so that the top moves? Everything else seem to work fine. I also found a few bolts that were loose and tighten them, but the top still didn't work. All in all, I think little by little I'm making progress. thanks again
Old 07-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Kuchar
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...cable-fix.html
Old 07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

or you could do like me and put it up in late December and put it back down early March
Old 07-17-2010, 12:35 PM
mac109
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

^+1
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear your cab isn't working after only 15 days from purchase. you may want to call previous owner to see if they have encountered the same problem. good luck.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or do the safest fix........take your lug wrench, loosen the bolts in the rear seat section (1 above each side)
4-5 full turns.
this will allow you to manually lower/raise the top.
still requires you to use the switch to engage the "windscreen motors" in order to close/seal or unlock the top from the windscreen.
this will prevent any future damage (failed strut from misalignment or broken cable) to one of the problem areas of the 964's.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
or do the safest fix........take your lug wrench, loosen the bolts in the rear seat section (1 above each side)
4-5 full turns.
this will allow you to manually lower/raise the top.
still requires you to use the switch to engage the "windscreen motors" in order to close/seal or unlock the top from the windscreen.
this will prevent any future damage (failed strut from misalignment or broken cable) to one of the problem areas of the 964's.
So the windscreen motors are supposed to work without the top being mechanically rotated there? I always assumed there was a switch that would tell the top it is time to engage the motors. Mine won't work and I have to manually open and shut them which is a royal pain in the a$$.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cab top stop working