Trying to start long sitting car

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I have not had any problem rotating the engine using the alternator bolt. Just put thumb pressure on the slack side, and you get plenty of torque on the crank shaft. Just make sure the trans is in neutral (don't ask...).

Glad I'm not the only one that forgot.

+1 on being able to rotate the engine with the alternator bolt/nut.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indycam, the starter fluid is generally more volatile and more explosive than gasoline, and that is the purpose of starter fluid.

Over here the use of starter fluid is mostly limited to the colder winter months when larger diesel engines are a pain to start and there is no other way to get the lumps running.
If you get ignition in a cylinder well before TDC on smaller engine and it makes the cylinder go "in reverse" you might be in for a very expensive reparation.
That is why I don't like to use starter fluid on anything else than tractors.

Please excuse my bad technical english.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are more than a few diesels you should never use starting fluid on , spraying starter fluid into the intake of some diesels can cause the whole charge to go off in your face while you are spraying .
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
There are more than a few diesels you should never use starting fluid on , spraying starter fluid into the intake of some diesels can cause the whole charge to go off in your face while you are spraying .
Not to beat a dead horse, but your comment is valid for most spark-ignition engines as well. Ask the poor fellow I know whose face is badly scared, and is missing most of his ear on one side. There are safer and easier ways to start an engine. Starter fluid is a last resort reserved for rare cases. Starting that 917 and starting a tired diesel in below-freezing conditions are cases where it can be justified.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Ask the poor fellow I know whose face is badly scared, and is missing most of his ear on one side.
I'd love to , give me his email address .
Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 AM
frank964
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flushing out the old fuel and putting in new fuel may be a good idea also, old fuel can lose its calorific value or turn to sludge depending on the environment you are in...

Quick Reply: Trying to start long sitting car