Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake wear indicator light on but ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake wear indicator light on but ...

Greetings fellow Rennlisters;

During my last Auto X, the 'brake wear indicator light' came on indicating worn brake pads. I pulled the pads to change them out but noticed that they were only 50% worn (as compared to the new pads). Why should I be changing pads that early? When your 'brake wear indicator light' comes on, how much remaining pads do you have? I spoke with a Porsche repair facility today, who mentioned that the indicator should come on when the pads are 75% worn. If so, I wonder what is triggering the indicator light?

Any thoughts, or ideas really appreciated...
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
foxford
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sensors are simple plastic blocks with a wire inside that wears through when the pads get thin enough for the rotor to wear down the plastic and break the circuit. It seams likely that the circuit has been broken via a broken lead wire or other dodgey connection. The plastic part can also break loose from the pads and encroach on the rotor vs the rotor encroaching on it.

They are not expensive or hard to install. Just swap in a new sensor, being careful not to force the plastic block into the steel pad backing.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by foxford
The sensors are simple plastic blocks with a wire inside that wears through when the pads get thin enough for the rotor to wear down the plastic and break the circuit. It seams likely that the circuit has been broken via a broken lead wire or other dodgey connection. The plastic part can also break loose from the pads and encroach on the rotor vs the rotor encroaching on it.

They are not expensive or hard to install. Just swap in a new sensor, being careful not to force the plastic block into the steel pad backing.
My understanding is to change the 'brake sensors' as I might have a faulty sensor. Are you saying to change all 4 sensors because I would never be able to determine which one is bad? Or, is there some logical way to determine which sensor is bad? I found them on Pelican at they are cheap.

Thanks for the reply...
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Doesn't the sensor go on when the circuit is broken? Can you use a pencil shaped circuit tester to see which sensor has failed? Is your warning light on all the time now?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

"Sneaky Pete" the indicator light only comes on when I use the brake hard. On start up no light, normal driving (stopping and starting) no light, jump on the brakes aggressively and the indicator light is on and stays on until car is turned off.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
9six4
Rennlist Member

If you still have the 2 piston rear calipers, brake wear can be quite extreme. My light would come on at about 50% wear, so I eliminated the sensors. You probably should have at least 50% left on your pads prior to tracking your car. I have a set of 4 piston caliper that I will install soon and then I will run a better pad for the track.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not the standard behaviour of the the brake check at startup.
You may have a different problem with the ABS brain and not in the sensors..

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
"Sneaky Pete" the indicator light only comes on when I use the brake hard. On start up no light, normal driving (stopping and starting) no light, jump on the brakes aggressively and the indicator light is on and stays on until car is turned off.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:15 AM
jay958
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how did you eliminate the sensors

Originally Posted by 9six4
If you still have the 2 piston rear calipers, brake wear can be quite extreme. My light would come on at about 50% wear, so I eliminated the sensors. You probably should have at least 50% left on your pads prior to tracking your car. I have a set of 4 piston caliper that I will install soon and then I will run a better pad for the track.
i want to eliminate the sensors without triggering the brake worn light all the time

Quick Reply: Brake wear indicator light on but ...