electric cab hood problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric cab hood problem.

Hi,

This one is for my mate, who has just bought a cab he's been happy cleaning his new car and the hood won't go back up.
The hood was put down so he could clean his interior, he then opened the engine lid to show his brother the flat6, he then wanted the hood back up and it was stuck down?
I did search the forum and told him to put his windows down and to open and close the bonnet and engine lid and still it is stuck down.
He has gone for a run in the car and now he tells me he can hear the motor trying to work in the back.
I did hear of some sensors that can cause a problem! were are they?

Please point us in the direction of the problems as he's wanted a 911 for a long long time and I want to repair it for him.

Many thanks in advance Gaz,
Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Voodoo964
Intermediate

Hi,

If you take off the plastic insert behind the drivers side(rhd) seat. You can now see the roof mechanism. There is a main arm which has 2 sensors - one for the up pos and one for down make sur these are not engaged. I'll see if i can get a few pics for you at lunch
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default power hood

Thanks,

Andy has been after a 911 for years and I have owned them for the last sixteen years so I have told him how great and reliable they are, I feel sorry for him as this little problem will have him worried him to death.
The car is a good one, but something has freaked it out, he was cleaning the interior so he powered the roof down, he tells me his brother came to see his first porsche so he popped the engine lid.
The next thing the hood would not go up, so he read the owners hand book and used the winder and put it up.
I arrived at work Monday to a 1000 questions on whats gone wrong, I told him put the hood back in its original position and turn the battery off for half an hour put it back on and put his windows down and open and close all the doors and boot lid and engine lid,this didn't sort the problem!!!
He went for a run in the car yesterday and he says he can hear the motors powering up?
So thanks for any information it's his first Porsche and he needs a little help getting things done.

Gaz,
Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Voodoo964
Intermediate

Pity its happened so early on but as you know all these little things are fixable.

I've attached an image of the roof mechanism as viewed under the plastic insert (where the speaker is located) behind the drivers seat(rhd). In the image both of the switches are open. If its not going up then it could be the roof up switch is closed or the switch is faulty.

Thing is you say the motors are running, if this is the case it means the switches are working.

Can you get a detailed explanation of what is happening?
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Thanks,

I hope Andy has read this? I am getting ready myself for my classic le-man trip so poor old Andy will be topless until I can get to him next weekend.
My last post is how he explained it to me, I hope he registers and can get involved in the forum as we all learn together and the forum is the font of knowledge for us classic porsche people.

Thanks again

Gaz
Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
catwalk six
3rd Gear

Hi Voodoo964,
This is Andy i have just cheked out your diagram and will try it in the morning thanks again i will let you know if i can get it to work again hope so as it has been driving me mad.....
Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
catwalk six
3rd Gear

Hello all,

Roof motor is sounding but will not lift or lower the roof, when i manually lift roof into position and engage rocker switch it will lock roof into position can anyone please help/advise...

Thankyou.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
mac109
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Andy.....i had my motor to lift/drop the top disconnected as a proactive step after several words of advice regarding catastrophic results if motor/gearing fails....same advice from both PPI and local Porsche dealer. I also then attach/release electrically thru the rocker switch as you described.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
mac109
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Andy....I see that there are some other posts with DIY solutions that i may now have to try...I am going to try to attach the link.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-operate.html

Quick Reply: electric cab hood problem.