Let's Talk About High Mileage C4s (again) - Potential Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Let's Talk About High Mileage C4s (again) - Potential Purchase

Hello again! Dizzy Doug here, shopping for his next Porsche again, and all over the boards with ideas. Today's potential purchase comes from in the form of a 1990 C4 with 155k miles. I've had a couple of back and forths with the owner via e-mail, but I'm curious as to what you guys think of of high mileage C4s, particularly on the drivetrain. (I'm confident in the engine's abilities to cover 200k + miles.) The biggest reason I'm asking is, even at "only" $15k asking price, it's at the top of my (self imposed) budget and while I'm factoring in regular maintenance, I'd like to avoid costly repairs for a while. What do we think...too much of a risk?

Would appreciate any comments!
Attached Images   
Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Doug, if you are looking for low maintenance costs there are two high mileage C2s up for sale on Pelicanparts. My opinion is to stay clear of a C4 if you need low maintenance (and really, who doesn't want lower running costs!).
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

wait why is the c4 more maint? ok change the oil in the front diff what every 30k miles? and what else?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

C4's are very reliable, if taken care of. If you want a C4, I would make sure you get a good PPI. The all wheel drive system is very reliable.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

My experience, very actual:
I just got the '89 C4 I bought last fall, with 220K Kms (140K miles). In a funny way it is the same velvet red.
After 6 years in a field under a tarp, one hitch came up: the front diff mainshaft seal leaks in a bad way (not driveable).
For the rest, zero problem so far.

So yes, there could be additional costs, but my car seems an exception due to prolonged inactivity.

P.S. these seats... 12 way with heat... The PERFECT candidates for the ultimate sport seat conversion.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
C4's are very reliable, if taken care of. If you want a C4, I would make sure you get a good PPI. The all wheel drive system is very reliable.
Rob, has your 230k mile C4 needed any major work? How long have you owned that one?

Cheers
Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

I've owned my C4 since 1992 (18 years) and 204K miles. It was 2 years old and 26K miles when I bought it. I'm the second owner. Has it needed any major work? I guess is depends on your definition of major. I have had several of the early 964 failures (dual mass flywheel, distributor belt, ABS pump). Those were not cheap. But the car has been very reliable. The engine has some oil drips but still runs strong. I had to replace the cab top back in 1996-97. The rear window was coming unstitched. What are the keys to long life? I haven't done anything special. I have followed the factory's maintenance schedule.

I am very happy with the 964. I bought my C2 three years ago, to be a DE car. Its had more issues than my C4. The previous owner deferred a lot of maintenance or took short cuts. Unfortunately, my PPI didn't catch these things. I am almost finished correcting the problems.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rob. Sounds like you've had a good car! I've heard the C4 AWD is pretty reliable, it's just that if they go wrong, they're expen$ive to fix!

When did your flywheel fail? This owner reports the clutch is still good (inspected at 140k). I can't imagine he's on the original clutch?

Distributor belt can be "fixed" with a vent kit, correct?

ABS pump is new to me...I'll have to look that one up.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

The dist belt does need the vent kit but the belt internally will go and if at the wrong spot will cause lots of damage but that is on all 964's.
The clutch I would be suspect on and how was it inspected? So he had teh motor out of the car and didn't do the clutch? wonder why unless it was brand new. I mean half the costs is pulling the motor etc and if no problems why have the clutch inspected. I would ask more questions here..
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

My problems all occurred in the mid-1990's. I've been good since. My flywheel failed at about 60K miles.

My distributor belt failed around the same time. At the time, I had to buy a rebuilt distributor. I then added the vent kit to avoid the problem recurring. So far so good.

The ABS pump was damaged by a faulty sensor and/or relay. My mechanic told me that there was a technical service bulletin for it. He installed the updated parts and I've not had any faults since.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I've heard the C4 AWD is pretty reliable, it's just that if they go wrong, they're expen$ive to fix!
That was my point. I should have made it more clear.
So do you feel lucky?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am at 196K miles on a C4, owned it for 3 years with nothing huge to worry about. The PO replaced the brake hydraulic pump already. I'd be sure to check the age on that, but its the only real item that would cause me worry when looking at an older C4 vs C2.

Of course the handling is a little different, but I appreciate being able to drive this in the winter.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 89 c4... it currently has about 110,000 miles.

In the three years I have owned it, the only AWD related maintenance has been fluid changes.

If the AWD system implodes it is likely expensive to fix, but the reports of problems are few and far between. I would confidently buy a c4 again, and concern myself more with the typical issues that these cars experience.

With a high mileage vehicle I would get a thorough PPI done by a reputable shop. Far more likely to experience engine related issues than drivetrain ones, I would bet.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How much of a service history is available on it?
How it's been cared for over the years will be a big influence on what you might be looking at going forward.
I like the color combo.
I think he's a fair bit rich on the price.
Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk About High Mileage C4s (again) - Potential Purchase