cam regrind

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92silver964
Thanks, Jim.

According to the Dougherty website, the DC21 has a 112 deg lobe angle. Their DC 20 is called Super C2 and looks to be essentially the same as the Elgin Super C2.

I look forward to hearing how things turn out for you - hope it goes well and gives you what you were looking for.

Amazing how the complex nature of cam profiles and their effect on performance, when combined with personal tastes, can make it so hard to decide!
The website is incorrect. Talk to John, he will assure you that it is a 113 lobe centre on the DC21.
We just installed this cam in a 993, returned it to solid lifter set up as in a 964 engine, got the car tuned and got 185kw at the wheels which with a 1.32 power train loss (What Porsche cars uses for loss) it equates to 244kw at the flywheel. That's a 44kw increase for a 94 model non varioram 993.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
The website is incorrect. Talk to John, he will assure you that it is a 113 lobe centre on the DC21.
We just installed this cam in a 993, returned it to solid lifter set up as in a 964 engine, got the car tuned and got 185kw at the wheels which with a 1.32 power train loss (What Porsche cars uses for loss) it equates to 244kw at the flywheel. That's a 44kw increase for a 94 model non varioram 993.
I'll take your word for it - wouldn't be the first time a website was not completely up to date. Wow - a 44 kw bump is nearly 60 hp, right? But if 244 kW is 327 hp, isn't that just a 45 hp increase over the stock 282 for a 993? Still quite a big improvement (16%)!

That correction in lobe angle leaves the prime difference between the DC21 and Super C2 just the amount of lift (DC21 has a bit more). How do you think that influences performance?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

I looked at all the cams you have and specified it must retain good torque and idling etc on stock chip. After much deliberation it was deemed the DC21 would give the biggest hp gain whilst only moving power band 300 odd rpm upwards and thus retaining good driveability. Not sure on your 993 power figs but a 94 pre varioram 993 is rated at 200kw. We got 244kw so a 44kw increase. Obviously this is helped by optimizing the tune. I am advised that the DC21 typically shows around a 25kw increase at the flywheel.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 AM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
I looked at all the cams you have and specified it must retain good torque and idling etc on stock chip. After much deliberation it was deemed the DC21 would give the biggest hp gain whilst only moving power band 300 odd rpm upwards and thus retaining good driveability. Not sure on your 993 power figs but a 94 pre varioram 993 is rated at 200kw. We got 244kw so a 44kw increase. Obviously this is helped by optimizing the tune. I am advised that the DC21 typically shows around a 25kw increase at the flywheel.
Sorry to nitpick you about numbers - as an engineer it's just a habit. Really appreciate your comments on all this. Not to drag it out, but if the difference between the two cams is basically that the DC21 has a bit more lift, is it fair to say that contributes more to low-mid rpm performance, versus duration which would offer more power improvement at higher rpm? I'm just trying to make sure I understand as much as possible how these differences in cam specs affect types of performance (i.e., torque vs power).

25 kW at the flywheel is 33 hp in USA terms - very nice for a just a regrind.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM
92silver964
Racer

Default Camshaft – Finally!

Well, I just decided to go with the Dougherty 993SS cam regrind. I talked with John Dougherty today and he gave me the answers I needed and the confidence that his cam would do what I am looking for. I realize that I have beaten this thing to death (sorry), but because my rebuild was unplanned and since a cam change is not something you can easily reverse, I have been short on time while desperate to “get it right”. Here are the specs from John on the DRC 993SS cam:

248I / 234E deg Duration at 1mm
242I / 229E deg Duration at .050”
.490I / .455E inches Lift
114 deg Lobe Sep Angle
1.6-1.8 mm Overlap Setting

John recommended this mild cam for me (which he commonly sees used to convert 993’s from hydraulic to mechanical lifters) because it satisfied my interests in maintaining a stable idle, keeping the upward power band shift to a minimum, and being appropriate for a stock intake. I believe that this was accomplished through his combination (unique?) of wider lobe angle and limited increase in overlap. Right/wrong? He cited a customer who dynoed a 16-18 rwhp increase strictly from this cam. I have also noticed that there are different versions of this cam designation. For instance, Webcam shows a good bit more duration and a tighter lobe angle on their 993SS, which is not what I want.

John told me doing a regrind like this on my stock cam to the 993SS profile without any weld buildup is very low risk since he has not seen any issues with that over the course of many years. He’s also going to give my rockers/shafts a checkout and “tuneup”.

Definitely would recommend Dougherty to others after talking with him. I’ll let you all know how it eventually turns out. I realize that my interests in this mild cam change may only align with a minority of RL’ers, but I thought it worth passing along. Cheers.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I’ll let you all know how it eventually turns out. I realize that my interests in this mild cam change may only align with a minority of RL’ers, but I thought it worth passing along. Cheers.
Well, how did it turn out
Old 05-06-2021, 06:07 PM
pweaver
2nd Gear

I'd like to know too. I'm doing the same upgrade myself: 90 964 3.6 and want to use a warmer cam but don't want to bother with chips, etc.
Paul
Old 03-26-2022, 09:41 AM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default camshaft update?

Well, I just decided to go with the Dougherty 993SS cam regrind. I talked with John Dougherty today and he gave me the answers I needed and the confidence that his cam would do what I am looking for. I realize that I have beaten this thing to death (sorry), but because my rebuild was unplanned and since a cam change is not something you can easily reverse, I have been short on time while desperate to “get it right”. Here are the specs from John on the DRC 993SS cam:

248I / 234E deg Duration at 1mm
242I / 229E deg Duration at .050”
.490I / .455E inches Lift
114 deg Lobe Sep Angle
1.6-1.8 mm Overlap Setting

John recommended this mild cam for me (which he commonly sees used to convert 993’s from hydraulic to mechanical lifters) because it satisfied my interests in maintaining a stable idle, keeping the upward power band shift to a minimum, and being appropriate for a stock intake. I believe that this was accomplished through his combination (unique?) of wider lobe angle and limited increase in overlap. Right/wrong? He cited a customer who dynoed a 16-18 rwhp increase strictly from this cam. I have also noticed that there are different versions of this cam designation. For instance, Webcam shows a good bit more duration and a tighter lobe angle on their 993SS, which is not what I want.

John told me doing a regrind like this on my stock cam to the 993SS profile without any weld buildup is very low risk since he has not seen any issues with that over the course of many years. He’s also going to give my rockers/shafts a checkout and “tuneup”.

Definitely would recommend Dougherty to others after talking with him. I’ll let you all know how it eventually turns out. I realize that my interests in this mild cam change may only align with a minority of RL’ers, but I thought it worth passing along. Cheers.

Just wondering how this all turned out... happy?

Quick Reply: cam regrind