Sponsored by:

MY NEW STEREO AND SUB.WOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
or mount the primary front splits into a fixed solid mounting place .. not the floppy door trim card.
With my Alpine head unit, I can switch the head unit off and rely solely on the head unit power and there is no comparison. Sound quality is greatly improved, especially through the sub with the significantly greater power of the amp.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not surprising but not related to my comment ... you are saying ...
floppy speakers in door cards + amp = BETTER SOUND THAN -> floppy speakers in door cards (without an amp) ... no problems there!

I am suggesting ...
fixed speakers in door steel (without an amp) = COMPARABLE SOUND -> floppy speakers in door cards + amp

I haven't tested that combination above ... but I did test this ...
fixed speakers in door steel (without an amp) = FAR FAR BETTER SOUND -> floppy speakers in door cards (without an amp)
Old 12-24-2010, 05:56 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry sml, I quoted the wrong post. I was referring to your other post:

"............ And possibly wouldn't need the sub and amp."

No question that the mounting of the speakers directly to the steel will yield far better sound. But I don't think you can get truly great results, especially when talking about the quality of speakers referenced here and the engine noise levels of a 964, without a sub. If you have not heard a systtem with an 8" JL sub as in the original post or my 10" sub, you have no point of reference. And to drive the quality of speakers he has and the large sub, you need an external amp, and a fairly large capacity one at that. That's the comparison, amp on/amp off, I was saying I could do with my system. No disrespect intended.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:16 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do agree with your comments altarchsa.

my comment was sort of tongue in cheek, but I really just suggesting that speaker mounting is important.

i bought an amp, head unit, speakers a few months ago ... but only installed the unit & speakers first.
after installing the speakers in the door cards, the sound was terribly disappointing and i assumed it must be the lack of amp.
but before the amp was added, i switched the speakers to the fixed door frame steel and it was hugely different. then decided i didn't need to add 5kg of weight and spend $300 on the amp, so I returned the amp to the store for a refund.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

do you have any advice or photos of the steel attachment points and setup you used to mount the door speakers?

Quick Reply: MY NEW STEREO AND SUB.WOW