Sponsored by:

Replacing a window motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing a window motor

Need to replace one of the window motors and I was wondering if it is possible to do this without removing the entire window lift mechanism?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It's very easy once you take the door panel off. There are three screws, I think torx head, that you can access through the large speaker hole. A mirror will probably help in seeing things. I replaced one of the window motors in my 964. I was presently surprised on how easy it was.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Excellent, many thanks.

P.S - Awesome avatar.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks!

It's a photo a friend took at the end of May storm chasing in SE Colorado. I was suppose to go but could not take the time off.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Shaun Leahy
Advanced

Jim
Are you certain that a new motor is needed as I had a similar problem on my 993?

When my passenger window stopped going up/down from the swith, mechanic correctly diagnosed that a fault in the switch itself was the problem... saved me some money.
Cheers
Shaun
Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shaun Leahy
Jim
When my passenger window stopped going up/down from the swith, mechanic correctly diagnosed that a fault in the switch itself was the problem... saved me some money.
Hi Shaun,

I wish it were that simple but first thing I did was try a working switch to check. Have had the problem for a while and just never got around to fixing it before the car went in for it's respray. I have even had the spare motor for a while after someone was selling both lift mechanisms on eBay and I noticed in the photos that both motors were still attached so I snapped them up for £40 and stupidly forgot to give them to the bodyshop to fit and by the time they rang and asked me about the window they had already put the door back together. They did however confirm that power was getting to the motor.

Quick Reply: Replacing a window motor