Sponsored by:

oil change - negative consequences

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
jzc28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change - negative consequences

I just paid $140 to have the oil change in my '89 C4. I check the level on flat ground after driving 15 highway miles - level over the top indent. Now when I start up the tach needle occelates dramatically more or less between 2K and 3.5K. I've had the car for over a year and have never seen that before. Are the two problems related? Beside insisting that the excess oil be siphoned off, what should I do? Thanks in advance. Jim
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

find a new mechanic that knows how to change the oil in a 911!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You can siphon off some of the oil through the fill tube with a turkey baste. You may also have to crack the oil tank drain plug to get more out. After this, go and drive the car to try to burn off the excess.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

If you did over-flow, there will be puddles perched in places in the intake system for some time to come. Drive and hope for the best, but if you have problems, the idle valve and the intake runners need to come off for a cleaning. +1 on the suggestion to get a different mechanic. A professional is supposed to know how to do the job.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the hoses off the left side of the intake, not sure where this oil hose (return?) goes - but it will get oily with normal use, and with an overfill it will pour out when you remove it (have rags under it).

Also, as mentioned, remove and clean the ISV. Search here for a how-to on that. Its about a 15 min easy job.

I'd ask the mechanic what happened - make sure they know about it..

good luck,

Mike
Old 06-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, driving just 15 miles isn't nearly enough to get the engine hot enough to check the oil, at least in my '93. I usually have to drive it pretty hard for 20-30 minutes in high ambient temps to get the oil thermostat to open. I wait until the gauge needle goes above the THIRD tick mark (around 8 o'clock on the gauge), then the thermostat opens and the needle drops to just below the 8 o'clock position. THEN, check the oil level (on level ground at idle after 30 seconds, the needle should move up to about 3 o'clock on the oil level gauge and the dipstick should read halfway between the two marks on the dipstick).
Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the invoice indicate how much oil they charged you for?

Should be 10 quarts with a filter change.

Suggest you drain excess from the crankcase instead of the tank in front of the right rear wheel. Tank holds more oil than the crankcase and will dump oil a whole lot faster.

Quick Reply: oil change - negative consequences