Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a LW aftermarket A/C system?
Yes
83.33%
No
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LW aftermarket A/C system, any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LW aftermarket A/C system, any interest?

Hi all,

As some of you know, the Bumpin' Pumpkin is running a lightweight, aftermarket A/C system, and I have gotten several e-mails showing interest in availability of a similar kit over the past few months.

The basic answer has been "no, it's not available as a kit", because this was a custom built system for my project car. However, should there be sufficient interest, I can look into putting together a kit.

For those who have not been following my project car threads, this is what the stock climate control unit is comprised of:

and this is what the lightweight, aftermarket system looks like:

Two things are obvious from the above photos for those interested in this:

1) The aftermarket kit is significantly smaller / lighter than the stock system

2) There is no heating capability (i.e., this is a system more for hotter climates, or for dedicated track / weekend cars in cooler climates)

As it stands, I made sure that the following key conditions were met when we installed the system in my project car:

1) It had to hook up to / work with the factory parts (i.e., OEM vents, fittings, lines, compressor, refrigerant, etc.)

2) It had to actually blow cold air. Ambient temperatures in Singapore average 30 degrees Celcius / 86 degrees Farenheit, so this was non-negotiable

If you are interested in seeing this available as a kit, please vote "yes", but please vote "yes" only if you are seriously interested. While this is a hobby and something of a weekend "give back to the community" project for me, I want it to be a properly constructed kit that someone who is mechanically inclined can install in their driveway (i.e., comes with all necessary parts, instructions, etc.). All of which means that a considerable amount of time has to be spent on putting the kit together.

Moderators: I hope it is ok to put a post like this up. If it treads across the "commercial listing" line, I apologize in advance and will be more than happy to remove this thread.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Oops. I missed the part about "no heat" before I voted "yes". Please change my vote to "no".

Have you looked into a light-weight compressor? I retro-fitted a Sanden 505 swashplate compressor in a prior car that had a receip cast-iron York. You could feel the difference in smoothness. The Nipondenso compressor in the 964 is actually a pretty good unit, and there might not be a light-weight upgrade that maintains cooling performance.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The driveway installation is good - but, does the gas tank require removal for this? I thought that was a 6-8 hour job.

Just wondering,

Mike
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't need any heat in Houston! I'm definitely interested...
Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Oops. I missed the part about "no heat" before I voted "yes". Please change my vote to "no".

Have you looked into a light-weight compressor? I retro-fitted a Sanden 505 swashplate compressor in a prior car that had a receip cast-iron York. You could feel the difference in smoothness. The Nipondenso compressor in the 964 is actually a pretty good unit, and there might not be a light-weight upgrade that maintains cooling performance.
I have a Sanden compressor in mine. It worked fine until I got a leak somewhere in the system.

Quick Reply: LW aftermarket A/C system, any interest?