Sponsored by:

cleaning the oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default cleaning the oil cooler?

I am sure someone here on RL has done this and can provide guidance: How do I clean the front/inlet side of the oil cooler (and thus, also the AC condenser)? I assume there is quite an accumulation of dirt and debris on the air inlet side after 17 years. Last weekend at the track I saw the highest oil temperatures ever on my 964's - going past the 9 o'clock mark. I wondered if the oil cooler was fouled a bit. Can I get to the inlet side by removing the lower panels under the bumper? or do I need to remove the front bumper cover?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Darrell,

JMHO, but based on experience, I think its a capital idea to pull the front bumper cover occasionally and properly clean the front of the oil cooler and A/C condenser.

Over time, we see a lot of road debris accumulations on the leading surfaces of these components that reduces their efficiencies. Call it good proactive maintenance,....
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, Steve, for the prompt and, as always, accurate answer. there are rarely effective "short-cuts". We often don't have time to do it right, but always time to do it over.
I will try to post some pictures to show what I find.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
Thanks, Steve, for the prompt and, as always, accurate answer. -
My pleasure, anytime.

There are rarely effective "short-cuts". We often don't have time to do it right, but always time to do it over.
LOL,...Those are the words I live by and offer to my clientel. Hopefully, they eventually get the message,...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 PM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the wheel well liner and front underbody panels to give mine a gentle cleaning. The front side isnt readily accessible with the bumper in place.

Unfortunately the years of accumulated grime were the only thing preventing it from leaking substantially.

I have since replaced the oil cooler. Temp impact was (to my surprise) neglible. About 1/4 of the surface area was thoroughly covered in oily dirt, though I recall seeing a picture of one that was substantially worse than mine.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I blew bugs and chaff out of mine using an air gun with a 90° adaptor. All I removed was the under cover. On the back side a powerful vac kept me from choking on the dust. A snake light and an inspection mirror will show when you are clean. I could see a lot more daylight when I was done. I do not think air will move much oily debris, but the dry stuff is pretty easy to blow out.

It is not a 100% cleaning because you need to work around the fan. It gets enough to make a difference.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have the bodyshop replace my bumper (got reversed into by a van) so it's a good time to clean the oil cooler and AC condenser... is it easy to remove the fan to allow a more thorough cleaning?

Quick Reply: cleaning the oil cooler?