Sponsored by:

Mobil Delvac still the one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Mobil Delvac still the one?

Getting ready to have a full service on the 91 later this week. Is the good gear oil still the Mobil Delvac 75W-90? Do I have to order this, or is it available retail?

Also adding LtWt flywheel clutch, rear calipers, etc.

Anything else while I'm there?

Thanks Guys.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that it is almost general consensus.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a recent thread HERE, for street use it seems you have several options, for racing you are limited to a few.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

Just curious if you've ridden in a street C2 with LWF? Sure, they rev nice and all that but ... the noise! It' ridiculous! I have one in my race car and the interior noise is really obnoxious at idle, off-throttle or driving around town with windows up. Coffee grinder, can of nails ... those descriptions are totally accurate.

So unless you can make good use of the darn thing, I'd stick with the stock part. For a street car, it's no contest!

$0.02
Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Joey on this one.
I have a C2 which I do limited road and mainly track and my lightweight flywheel conversion lasted a week before i took it out. the noise was horrible under 3000rpm and a basic cruise was a chore. it also passed a massive amount of vibration through the car.

Sure it revved quickly and went a bit harder BUT....

If you want grunt for not a silly outlay and haven't already done so.

Chip,
Intake
exhaust
Camshafts if you like.

You can get around 200-210kw (10-15% increase) for around $1000 with chip intake and exhaust. (Primary Bypass, 100cell CAT)
Even more on exhaust side if you go a full extractors set up.
Get an extra 20kw with camshafts from Dougherty DC21 cams. $600 cams then fitting.

I've done both and the car is brilliant but still lovely on the street.

By your photo it looks like you have already done some suspension work as it looks lower than stock.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the LWF upgrade.
Dwane
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a LWF in an otherwise stock car and it is not really noticable in terms of noise. If you have replaced your engine mounts with Wevo or solid mounts, the noise is much louder as it transmits through the chassis.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good point about the mounts, Geoffrey. A friend recently switched to the Factory hard plastic transmission mounts in his LWF-equipped C2 and was shocked by the rattle and chatter emanating from the gearbox. I have the same mounts, along with WEVO blue motor mounts, and assured him that it was normal.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

RS lwf in mine , stock motor and transmission mounts, noise wise absolutely no difference, great upgrade.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris,

Before you order the Delvac, check with your local Kenworth or Freightliner dealerships. They usually stock Delvac and it's a lot cheaper that through the typical retailers.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks all,

I already have the Lt Wt kit, so I think I'll do it. I plan to stay with stock motor mounts. I have been following threads for over a yr and it seems the Lt Wt kit is fine as long as there are no stall issues (handled with a Wong chip) or that the cabin is not overcome with noise (stock mounts?). I don't mind a little added sound, but would be dissapointed if it was "way-loud"

Grainger carries the Delvac and it's $50/ Gal. It should take 1 Gal (4 quarts) right? Is $50 too much?

Cheers....

Chris
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Is $50 too much?
It's in the right ballpark, Chris.
Any difference for less, I wouldn't sweat, too much.
Another place I know of sells it for $42.50.
(Throw in shipping cost and you see what I mean.)
Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good luck, Chris.

As for the "while you're in there" items, I'm guessing the rear main seal is a given? How about the oil sender seal, located near the p/s pump. And hell, while you're at it ... a valve job probably makes sense, powder coat the engine tins, Rennline bracket upgrade. gut the brake p/v ...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Joey, Thanks buddy, but a valve job is not on thank you very much, but we will attend to valve clearance, and inspect the various seals, hoses, clamps, pins, connectors etc.

elbee, I did see it on the Luc.... website for $42.50, but figured buying ot locally inc tax, it's the same thing. Appreciate the heads up.

I'm also adding larger rear calipers, replacing the crumbly engine pad, Cleaning ISV, RMS (thanks Joey), and anything else that pops up. I'll probably also need the Wong chip to compensate for the LtWt Flywheel, so that too is on the list.

I'll report back next week. Again, thanks for all the help gang!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:53 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Got the car back last night and it runs GREAT!

Major Service: Plugs, valve adj., filters, belts, Delvac trans flush, New rear main seal, Crankshaft seal, and selector shaft seal (all were leaking which oiled the clutch disk)

Lt Wt Flywheel: Turns out the car already had one, so I changed it for the new stuff anyway. No stalling issues whatsoever, and it has the stock chip. Full AC and no probs. I now have the used set which includes Lt Wt Flywheel (Bremtek, identical in every way t the stock unit, same weight everything); pressure plate; small bearing in Flywheel, large bearing in pressure plate, guide tube, ring gear; etc. All this now needs is a new disc and it's good to go. Let me know if anyone is interested. I'm thinking $650. Great upgrade!

New sound pad, looks fantastic

Brakes: Added the 4 pots to the rear with new lines at all 4 corners, new pads, sensors and ATE Blue. I did not add the 55 Bar proportioning valve. I'm not sure if I need it?

New Clutch master; slave and line in rear.

The car is quick, solid, and feels very lively. Next up will be suspension, & tires. I'll need to save a few bucks first as this took a bite out of the wallet. I'm very happy with the results!!!

Quick Reply: Mobil Delvac still the one?