Porsche Club track day - In-car video

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Club track day - In-car video

Hi all,

I went for what was possible the largest regional Porsche Club track day in Southeast Asia last Friday, with attendees from Porsche Club Singapore and Malaysia, Thailand (they drove down) and Hong Kong (they flew their cars down). Very exciting!

The venue was the Sepang F1 Circuit in Malaysia, where the Malaysian Grand Prix is held every year. It is roughly 5.5km in length, with 15 turns; and while it is not among my favorite tracks (I am a huge fan of tight, technical tracks like Laguna Seca), it was still good fun.

The turnout was great, with everything from air-cooled 2.7 RS replicas to 997.5 GT3s (and even 2 Panameras) being represented, and everyone had an enjoyable day.

This was the Bumpin' Pumpkin's first track day running a full complement of 360bhp, and where I could use the entire range of the engine's capabilities since it is now broken in. I took the opportunity to run my FlipCam while I did a couple of laps, which can be found here if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpzLvucdGQ

I haven't been tracking since April of last year, so I'm a little rough around the edges (see my idiot understeer moment at T13), but I managed to nab a 2:52.34 in this particular clip (see the video notes for even more excuses, haha); not a very good time (I used to pull times in the 2:40s in my Cayman S), but then I was not chasing lap time records this time around.

It was interesting to note how the Pumpkin handled because this is the first time it has been driven in anger, and I am seeing loads of room for improvement in myself as well as in the car. Those of you who have followed the build know that this car was built to serve as a road and track car, and I have to say that I am extremely happy with how the engine and the chassis performed.

Anyway, enjoy!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, you managed to make it. Was the 2.7RS BorisRS' car?

Did you also manage to catch up with the guy with the Maritime Blue 964 turbo?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

No, the PCT guys turned up with 2 replica 2.7 RSs and a long nose RSR replica. They have some great cars in their chapter.

The guy with the 965 never showed up (or maybe he did, but not with his car).
Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Wow....was it just one car on a track at a time?

BTW the BP sounds fantastic!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Wow....was it just one car on a track at a time?
Haha, that would be great, but is sadly not the case. That being said, it is very easy to find the track all to yourself with 5.5km to drive around!

Thanks! It's a shame the microphone on the FlipCam can't handle the full range of frequencies. The induction roar at high revs and the backfiring on the overrun isn't being captured.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I went for what was possible the largest regional Porsche Club track day in Southeast Asia last Friday, with attendees from Porsche Club Singapore and Malaysia, Thailand (they drove down) and Hong Kong (they flew their cars down).
Now, THAT's a whole other level of 'weekend hobby' accounting.

I haven't been tracking since April of last year, so I'm a little rough around the edges (see my idiot understeer moment at T13),
Sir, that (at 2:10) is Mr. Off-throttle Oversteer - a most vile character who specializes in con-jobs at corner entrance.
By corner exit, you know you've been fleeced.
(I hate him.)
Only your "Fists of Fury"-response saved the day against him.
Congrats!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Sir, that (at 2:10) is Mr. Off-throttle Oversteer - a most vile character who specializes in con-jobs at corner entrance.
By corner exit, you know you've been fleeced.
(I hate him.)
Only your "Fists of Fury"-response saved the day against him.
Congrats!
elbeee964 - I, Sir, stand humbly corrected. You are absolutely right. I watched the video again with my (better) speakers turned up, and it sounds like I made the mistake of trailing the throttle through the corner which lead to the oversteer moment.

The humorously ironic thing was that, for the first couple of laps, I remember thinking to myself "don't lift through the corner, don't lift through the corner", so that something like this wouldn't have happened!

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Porsche Club track day - In-car video