Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How much? $85K-$90K?

 
Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 PM
  #1  
LastMezger
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
LastMezger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 6th gear!
Posts: 3,912
Default How much? $85K-$90K?

I should know better than sitting in a parked car in Toronto with the windows down (never mind a parked Porsche) but it wasn't 5 min. before some wackjob wanted to talk about the car.

He's pestering me about the cost of the car and I initially tell him I'm not prepared to tell a stranger what I paid but when he guessed $85k-$90K I just had to tell him the car was twenty grand. Ironically I think he thought I was nuts...or a liar.

Anyway, it felt really good to actually be able to boast about paying so little for something so great.

I also have new shocks...totally unexciting way to spend $500;-)
LastMezger is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 AM
  #2  
tbennett017
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
tbennett017's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,268
Default

People are often shocked at how little I spent for mine too, but from your avatar image, I'd guess closer to $85K... its a nice looking car.
tbennett017 is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:27 AM
  #3  
Paulie964
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Paulie964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 431
Default

people alway assume I'm LOADED when they see my car ... its the curves and the emblem
Paulie964 is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 AM
  #4  
kdfwagen
User
 
kdfwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: West Marin CA.
Posts: 133
Default

NinetyOne, Sweet looking rims and a nice stance make a car look alot better and more expensive. Also, it looks like you have some clean paint as well.
kdfwagen is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:39 AM
  #5  
RollingArt
Super User
 
RollingArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,015
Default

^ ^ ^
Nice lookin' bus dude. How much? $85k?

Now I KNOW you're loaded!



Phil
RollingArt is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
  #6  
Cam Arnott
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Cam Arnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Darwin, Australia
Posts: 124
Default

You guys have it good over there....I'm thinking about a 964 and down here they start at about $45K up to about $80K for a really good one
Cam Arnott is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
  #7  
LastMezger
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
LastMezger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 6th gear!
Posts: 3,912
Default

It's a "ten foot" car...looks great from 10 feet or in photos. Though in generally excellent shape there are a bunch of dings and chips in the paint.

Maybe if I become "loaded" by the winter I'll have the bodywork fixed up;-)
LastMezger is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
  #8  
boxsey911
Super User
 
boxsey911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 5,096
Default

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 View Post
It's a "ten foot" car...looks great from 10 feet or in photos. Though in generally excellent shape there are a bunch of dings and chips in the paint.

Maybe if I become "loaded" by the winter I'll have the bodywork fixed up;-)
I like that description! In which case I have just decided that mine is a "twenty foot" car.
boxsey911 is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM
  #9  
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Jetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 6,436
Default Everyone has an opinion when they see the car...

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 View Post
...it felt really good to actually be able to boast about paying so little for something so great.
I live in North Carolina, very far from "car central". I constantly get the same reaction, they usually also think the car is much newer than it really is.

As stupid as it might sound, I wasn't prepared for that part of the ownership experience. I've loved these cars since I was a kid and when I could finally afford one I was so focused on finally fulfilling my dreams that I didn't think about the eye-candy factor at all.

That all changed the first time I drove it home. Neighbors came out of their homes to look at the car and others walk by thinking, "wow they have money". One thing for sure, EVERYONE has an opinion (+/-) when they see the car!

Sometimes I miss sliding under the radar...

Depending on what I'm sensing from someone, I have two quick comments I tell people who ask about the car:
"you can get one of these for less than $20,000" - they are usually shocked
AND
"this car is 20 years old!" - most know its an older car, but not that old. 964s have aged well!

In person especially, Slate Grey really complements the car's silhouette making it appear a bit more sleek and sophisticated, hence $$.
911Jetta is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
  #10  
ACSGP
User
 
ACSGP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 623
Default

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 View Post
He's pestering me about the cost of the car and I initially tell him I'm not prepared to tell a stranger what I paid but when he guessed $85k-$90K I just had to tell him the car was twenty grand. Ironically I think he thought I was nuts...or a liar.
Maybe he came from Singapore. I paid SGD 85K for mine
ACSGP is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM
  #11  
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member
 
ilko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,745
Default

I've gotten questions like that in the past. My response, without giving them a number, is that the car cost me as much as a new Honda Accord (for the 993, or a Civic for the 964s - no offense!). At that price I'd rather drive something exciting than a couch on wheels. Works every time
ilko is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 PM
  #12  
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Kahdmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacifica CA.
Posts: 3,851
Default

This has happened to me even in California where 911's are commonplace.
Kahdmus is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
  #13  
LastMezger
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
LastMezger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 6th gear!
Posts: 3,912
Default

Originally Posted by 911Jetta View Post
I live in North Carolina, very far from "car central". I constantly get the same reaction, they usually also think the car is much newer than it really is.

As stupid as it might sound, I wasn't prepared for that part of the ownership experience. I've loved these cars since I was a kid and when I could finally afford one I was so focused on finally fulfilling my dreams that I didn't think about the eye-candy factor at all.

That all changed the first time I drove it home. Neighbors came out of their homes to look at the car and others walk by thinking, "wow they have money". One thing for sure, EVERYONE has an opinion (+/-) when they see the car!

Sometimes I miss sliding under the radar...

Depending on what I'm sensing from someone, I have two quick comments I tell people who ask about the car:
"you can get one of these for less than $20,000" - they are usually shocked
AND
"this car is 20 years old!" - most know its an older car, but not that old. 964s have aged well!

In person especially, Slate Grey really complements the car's silhouette making it appear a bit more sleek and sophisticated, hence $$.
Obviously I agree. Judging by people's reactions to the car it has aged exceedingly well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the 964 is like a classic 911 designed by Apple. Porsche successfully took an iconic shape, successfully updated it and in the process made it timeless.

I like the previous generation 911 because they look older and the 993 is undeniably a good looking car but the 964 is the only one I'd consider truly "timeless". In fact, as you've pointed out, people often ask what year it is because it's hard to tell.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the first few years of the 996 will also prove to be timeless. It's a very clean design.

997? I'm not so sure. In fact I am sure...it's not "timeless" at all and the 997 Turbo looks like it was style by former Pontiac designers.
LastMezger is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:34 PM
  #14  
LastMezger
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
LastMezger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 6th gear!
Posts: 3,912
Default

Originally Posted by ACSGP View Post
Maybe he came from Singapore. I paid SGD 85K for mine
LOL...ouch!
LastMezger is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 PM
  #15  
elbeee964
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
elbeee964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 5,089
Default

Originally Posted by ilko View Post
I've gotten questions like that in the past. My response, ...is that the car cost me as much as a new Honda ...
Same tactic, here, but I've noted some strange psychology working after the questioner has heard that point:
1) The longing gaze they'd been wearing up to that point becomes less overt.
2) Their questions of cost become a bit mumbling.

It's almost as though you've kicked out one of their pet rationalization's (i.e., too high a cost) for not pursuing a dream.
And suddenly they're trying to reconcile the comfortable, long held notion of "I-could-Never-afford-a-911" with being told it cost less than their current minivan.

Some of it, I think, has to do with their coming face-to-face with self-imposed life's compromises that are really more connected with fears of the unknown than of any fiscal constraint.

Of course, if my only maintenance recourse were taking it to someone, *I* probably would have sold Red a long time ago.
elbeee964 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: