Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   How much? $85K-$90K? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/569389-how-much-85k-90k.html)

LastMezger 05-20-2010 09:45 PM

How much? $85K-$90K?

I should know better than sitting in a parked car in Toronto with the windows down (never mind a parked Porsche) but it wasn't 5 min. before some wackjob wanted to talk about the car.

He's pestering me about the cost of the car and I initially tell him I'm not prepared to tell a stranger what I paid but when he guessed $85k-$90K I just had to tell him the car was twenty grand. Ironically I think he thought I was nuts...or a liar.

Anyway, it felt really good to actually be able to boast about paying so little for something so great.

I also have new shocks...totally unexciting way to spend $500;-)

tbennett017 05-21-2010 01:17 AM

People are often shocked at how little I spent for mine too, but from your avatar image, I'd guess closer to $85K... its a nice looking car.

Paulie964 05-21-2010 01:27 AM

people alway assume I'm LOADED when they see my car ... its the curves and the emblem

kdfwagen 05-21-2010 01:29 AM

NinetyOne, Sweet looking rims and a nice stance make a car look alot better and more expensive. Also, it looks like you have some clean paint as well.

RollingArt 05-21-2010 01:39 AM

^ ^ ^
Nice lookin' bus dude. How much? $85k?

Now I KNOW you're loaded!

Phil

Cam Arnott 05-21-2010 07:41 AM

You guys have it good over there....I'm thinking about a 964 and down here they start at about $45K up to about $80K for a really good one :(

LastMezger 05-21-2010 08:53 AM

It's a "ten foot" car...looks great from 10 feet or in photos. Though in generally excellent shape there are a bunch of dings and chips in the paint.

Maybe if I become "loaded" by the winter I'll have the bodywork fixed up;-)

boxsey911 05-21-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 (Post 7589144)
It's a "ten foot" car...looks great from 10 feet or in photos. Though in generally excellent shape there are a bunch of dings and chips in the paint.

Maybe if I become "loaded" by the winter I'll have the bodywork fixed up;-)

I like that description! In which case I have just decided that mine is a "twenty foot" car. :icon107:

911Jetta 05-21-2010 09:57 AM

Everyone has an opinion when they see the car...

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 (Post 7588405)
...it felt really good to actually be able to boast about paying so little for something so great.

I live in North Carolina, very far from "car central". I constantly get the same reaction, they usually also think the car is much newer than it really is.

As stupid as it might sound, I wasn't prepared for that part of the ownership experience. I've loved these cars since I was a kid and when I could finally afford one I was so focused on finally fulfilling my dreams that I didn't think about the eye-candy factor at all.

That all changed the first time I drove it home. Neighbors came out of their homes to look at the car and others walk by thinking, "wow they have money". One thing for sure, EVERYONE has an opinion (+/-) when they see the car!

Sometimes I miss sliding under the radar...

Depending on what I'm sensing from someone, I have two quick comments I tell people who ask about the car:
"you can get one of these for less than $20,000" - they are usually shocked
AND
"this car is 20 years old!" - most know its an older car, but not that old. 964s have aged well! :rockon:

In person especially, Slate Grey really complements the car's silhouette making it appear a bit more sleek and sophisticated, hence $$.

ACSGP 05-21-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 (Post 7588405)
He's pestering me about the cost of the car and I initially tell him I'm not prepared to tell a stranger what I paid but when he guessed $85k-$90K I just had to tell him the car was twenty grand. Ironically I think he thought I was nuts...or a liar.

Maybe he came from Singapore. I paid SGD 85K for mine :banghead:

ilko 05-21-2010 10:53 AM

I've gotten questions like that in the past. My response, without giving them a number, is that the car cost me as much as a new Honda Accord (for the 993, or a Civic for the 964s - no offense!). At that price I'd rather drive something exciting than a couch on wheels. Works every time :D

Kahdmus 05-21-2010 01:24 PM

This has happened to me even in California where 911's are commonplace.

LastMezger 05-21-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 911Jetta (Post 7589256)
I live in North Carolina, very far from "car central". I constantly get the same reaction, they usually also think the car is much newer than it really is.

As stupid as it might sound, I wasn't prepared for that part of the ownership experience. I've loved these cars since I was a kid and when I could finally afford one I was so focused on finally fulfilling my dreams that I didn't think about the eye-candy factor at all.

That all changed the first time I drove it home. Neighbors came out of their homes to look at the car and others walk by thinking, "wow they have money". One thing for sure, EVERYONE has an opinion (+/-) when they see the car!

Sometimes I miss sliding under the radar...

Depending on what I'm sensing from someone, I have two quick comments I tell people who ask about the car:
"you can get one of these for less than $20,000" - they are usually shocked
AND
"this car is 20 years old!" - most know its an older car, but not that old. 964s have aged well! :rockon:

In person especially, Slate Grey really complements the car's silhouette making it appear a bit more sleek and sophisticated, hence $$.

Obviously I agree. Judging by people's reactions to the car it has aged exceedingly well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the 964 is like a classic 911 designed by Apple. Porsche successfully took an iconic shape, successfully updated it and in the process made it timeless.

I like the previous generation 911 because they look older and the 993 is undeniably a good looking car but the 964 is the only one I'd consider truly "timeless". In fact, as you've pointed out, people often ask what year it is because it's hard to tell.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the first few years of the 996 will also prove to be timeless. It's a very clean design.

997? I'm not so sure. In fact I am sure...it's not "timeless" at all and the 997 Turbo looks like it was style by former Pontiac designers.

LastMezger 05-21-2010 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ACSGP (Post 7589291)
Maybe he came from Singapore. I paid SGD 85K for mine :banghead:

LOL...ouch!

elbeee964 05-21-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 7589417)
I've gotten questions like that in the past. My response, ...is that the car cost me as much as a new Honda ...

Same tactic, here, but I've noted some strange psychology working after the questioner has heard that point:
1) The longing gaze they'd been wearing up to that point becomes less overt.
2) Their questions of cost become a bit mumbling.

It's almost as though you've kicked out one of their pet rationalization's (i.e., too high a cost) for not pursuing a dream.
And suddenly they're trying to reconcile the comfortable, long held notion of "I-could-Never-afford-a-911" with being told it cost less than their current minivan.

Some of it, I think, has to do with their coming face-to-face with self-imposed life's compromises that are really more connected with fears of the unknown than of any fiscal constraint.

Of course, if my only maintenance recourse were taking it to someone, *I* probably would have sold Red a long time ago. :)