Sponsored by:

My first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xeps
Also, as stupid as it sounds - triple check you are turning this the correct way.
+1 to this because it can be very disorientating if you start trying to untighten nuts/bolts when lying on your back. The best extra tip I can give is to set your ratchet on the wrench to untighten before you apply it to any nut or bolt. Also, only ever use hex sockets as they're much less likely to round a bolt than a ring socket.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:09 PM
augsburg911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give up!!!! I was turning counter-clockwise (left), every time. I tried hitting it, chiseling, vice-grips, channellocks. The "little" bolt with crush washer won't budge. The only thing I have successfully done was round out the plug even more.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Dear augsburg911

Try heat with a propane tourch heating the component the plug is going into (i.e. by applying heat it will exand releasing pressure on the threads - try not to heat the plug) and use the proper size pipe wrench (i.e. the H/W store man should be able to tell you which one to buy if you tell him the size of the head - I would imagine it's about 1/2" to 3/4" now) probably one with an 8 - 10" handle and one you can put a 2' pipe on to get leverage.

Hope this helps
Bill
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Put your chisel on the side of the plug closest to the rear wheel, and tap it around towards the inside, that is you sitting on the floor facing the plug, you will be turning the plug clockwise.

and good luck, don't worry, we are with you all the way. If this does not work, we still have a few more tricks up the perverbial sleeve, but it will take a bit more work.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 PM
augsburg911
Instructor

Thanks everyone for all of your help! I think I am going to take it to professional this time. I think the next oil change I'll be that much more the wiser, and hopefully I won't experience this stumbling block.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Reformed
Advanced

I had exactley the same problem as you which I finally sorted Saturday. My sump plug was completely rounded.

I ended up using a 5/8" Irwin Bolt Grip Nut Remover. Tapped it over the rounded sump plug (which was round!), then using a ratchet, made sure it was fully on which no chance of slipping, applied pressure and it broke free. Then I completed the oil change and put a new sump plug back.

I was tempted to put a picture on here to show how ruined the old plug was!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000QW6K8...SIN=B000QW6K8I

Incidentley I brought mine from Machine-Mart but this is what they are.

I know thats in uk pounds but im sure you can get these (or something similar) in other countrys.

Reformed.

Last edited by Reformed; 05-21-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Missed a bit out
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 PM
augsburg911
Instructor

Well, I completed my first oil change! The oil drain that was giving me such a hard time was being turned in the wrong direction. I thought that turning the socket counter-clockwise was the "right" way. However, I had to turn the socket towards the rear tire, clockwise. I had rounded the drain plug so badly that even using a bolt remover, in the right direction, couldn't grip into the badly rounded bolt. I used an air chisel lightly and the plug loosened instantly. I learned allot from this experience, and I hope others can to. Again, thank you everyone for all of your help.

Quick Reply: My first oil change