Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove interior rear side panels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:50 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default how to remove interior rear side panels?

Preparing for the install of my DAS bar. How do you remove the rear side panels? I removed the top trim strip, but it is still not obvious to me how to remove it (safely). It appears that the trim strip on the door jamb needs to come out, but not sure how that is done, either. So, I am taking the lazy way out and asking RL for advice. (I saw nothing in the shop manual, BTW)

(Oh, and those slotted head bolts that attach the rear seat backs are a pita. Used an impact driver to break them loose)

THANKS in advance...
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

IIRC you pull them upwards. there a "latch" on the rear side of the panels that slides into a bracket in the body from above. The first millimeters can be a bit tight due to good fitment, age etc.

Thomas
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 AM
yertyat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a photo. i removed mine recently. all it takes is a good pull. the seat belts, however, need to be disassembled.- don't know about that, i just cut the panel..
Attached Images  

Last edited by yertyat; 05-18-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: be.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the hints, guys. Got them out tonight. You were right about the tab near the bottom/rear. Otherwise, after removing the upper trim piece, it was mostly pull, Pull, PULL up and back. It helped (necessary?) to remove the screws holding the rear panel/shelf so it could be lifted out of the way. I should have taken pictures. I left the seat belts "intact" - just pushed the panels and belts back and out of the way while I worked on mounting the lower bar for the DAS bar. That is going well, too, BTW. Tips and Tricks and maybe Pics in an upcoming post.

Quick Reply: how to remove interior rear side panels?