BP Blow out in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
RacinToday
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BP Blow out in my garage

Well, not quite that bad.

Did my first oil change yesterday. I had a couple of problems which I won't have next time.

I started it on Saturday and draining tank went well (thanks to help this Forum). Minimum spillage. Ditto for the engine.

Then, I went to put the plugs back in and discovered that the new crush washers I got from the dealership were the wrong size. Ran all over town looking for the right kind on Sat. and Sun. and found none. So, the car sat til Monday.

Went to deal, exchanged washers with jerk, I mean, guy at parts counter.
Went back home and resumed. Removed filter and that is where the trouble started. I had put towels under the filter, stuffing them in between hoses. I figured with the filter draining for 48 hours, it would be about empty. Nope.

What appeared to be a half pint of oil gushed out and all over the engine bay below the filter port. Dripped down onto exhaust system and floor. Blotted up the best I could in bay. Will mop garage later today.

Then all went right again except I have no torque wrench so I hand torqued -- may be too much, maybe not enough -- the drain plugs.

Anyway, refilled it with 10 quarts of Brad Penn, took it for a ride and I swear it thanked me with a new, wonderul purr.

Ta-dah!!!!

THANKS guys!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Racingtoday, to drain the filter, either punch a small hole in the top of the filter or remove the vent in the filter housing located in the wheel well.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I have done before as well - punch a small hole in the filter as the system drains, and then put a piece of tape over it when you want to remove the filter. Few (if any) drips.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xeps
That is what I have done before as well - punch a small hole in the filter as the system drains, and then put a piece of tape over it when you want to remove the filter. Few (if any) drips.
Do it before you open the tank drain and it will suck the oil right out of the filter.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed the oil on my cab yesterday and used the loosen the vent method in the right rear fender. Simple and not a drop spilt in the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: BP Blow out in my garage