Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM
da_gleadless
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cheers Rennlisters!

Good afternoon all,

I just wanted to say thanks really...

I bought my 964 in November last year and have been attending to known issues and addressing other minor issues as they pop up. I don't post very often as there isn't much need (though i browse almost every day) and theres a fair amount of old material to get through without going over old ground!

The car has just come out of the garage having a few seals and covers replaced (minor oil leaks) and 'whilst theyre in there' spark plugs and an oil change (could have done this myself, but it wasnt a big job so opted for time over money).

The car has since developed a temperature problem and the heater blower is constantly on (linked i guess, possibly the high temp knackered the heater blower sensor I'm replacing).

Thanks to rennlist I have guides on changing the thermostat insert (after searching and diagnosis of other OP issues) and help finding answers to almost all my issues

My final thanks is to Sean at OPC West London, who does a great job at accomodating me and my constant part queries.

Cheers Guys

Heres a couple fo photos as we all know how much you all love em (sorry its parts and receipt FYI)
Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Overheating can be caused by misoperation of the engine controls, but more likely is dirt clogging the air passages in the oil cooler and on the fins in the engine. It can also be the oil thermostat.

The best time to clean the engine is when the alternator is out for any reason. Compressed air from underneath should dislodge enough to find out if that is the cause. The oil cooler is best cleaned by removing the inner liner of the right fender. I just did that in conjunction with repairing the horns which are behind the same panel. Oil thermostat can be checked by feeling for heat at the oil cooler when the engine is hot.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by da_gleadless
The car has since developed a temperature problem and the heater blower is constantly on (linked i guess, possibly the high temp knackered the heater blower sensor I'm replacing).

Hello da_gleadless,
I recognized those parts! Just recently finished the same surgery. My first time doing anything like that at all. Without the RL resources, it would have been at the shop.

What temps are your seeing (and when), you mention heater blower, describe what's happening? I had to replace my oil cooler ballast resistor as well as my oil cooler thermostat. Checkout my recent thread on this...lord knows I created a lot of posts trying to work though this problem!

Great looking car!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
da_gleadless
Advanced

Originally Posted by springer3
Overheating can be caused by misoperation of the engine controls, but more likely is dirt clogging the air passages in the oil cooler and on the fins in the engine. It can also be the oil thermostat.
Good luck.
No oil is getting to the thermostat (I did the fender check) and its circulating round back to the engine, hence the temp. I also checked with a porsche mechanic in the OPC before I ordered and he agreed it was the stat most likely!

Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Hello da_gleadless,
I recognized those parts! Just recently finished the same surgery. My first time doing anything like that at all. Without the RL resources, it would have been at the shop.

What temps are your seeing (and when), you mention heater blower, describe what's happening? I had to replace my oil cooler ballast resistor as well as my oil cooler thermostat. Checkout my recent thread on this...lord knows I created a lot of posts trying to work though this problem!

Great looking car!
Who's post do you think I've been reading... your a godsend and one of the reasons I thought I'd say thanks, if it wasn't for your posts the car would have been garaged again!

I'll try the thermo inserts and go for the ballast after if that doesnt work!

My temps go upto the last notch before the red (10:30?), so the thermo should kick in and send the oil to the cooler. I checked and bridged the oil fan relay and it all works fine, which points towards the thermo along with the fact no oil is reaching the cooler.

The heater blower is in constant operation as soon as I switch the ignition on. I removed the sensor from the plastic pipe (in which case it should sense cold air) and no change was seen. I also checked this with the porsche mechanic who agreed it was most likely the HTC sensor

Thanks again
Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Who's post do you think I've been reading...
Watch out for anything I write! I'm very well meaning, but a total newbie...
Glad some my "posting-out-loud" might help you in this project.

It would be interest (for me) to see how much oil drains when you pull the thermo plug? I was prepared to lose everything in the tank, but only a quart drained out? I guess the valve was positioned such that only the quantity in the line to the oil cooler drained? Does anybody know? I had just done my first solo oil change and was happy that I didn't lose all that fresh Brad Penn!

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, where's the discount on that invoice? You should only have to say you are a PCGB member and you should get 10% off all parts
Old 05-11-2010, 01:01 PM
da_gleadless
Advanced

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Chris, where's the discount on that invoice? You should only have to say you are a PCGB member and you should get 10% off all parts
Well technically I'm not a member ( I will be shortly)

I wasn't aware of that, which is a shame since I've spent a good £300 over the last month or so...

Cheers for the good advice Steve
(incidentally i really do need to meet up soon and buy you a beer or some cake)

Furthermore I've changed the NTC sensor in the heater blower duct (see link) and thats not helped. the heater blower/engine cooler fan still comes on when the ignition is on prior to starting the engine... any ideas?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/22...fc1e4792_b.jpg

Jetta I'll let you know about the oil amount (shame as I've just had fresh valvoline)!

Last edited by da_gleadless; 05-11-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: additonal comment
Old 05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
wolv
Instructor

My car's heater blower is constantly on too. But no temperature problem. Does that mean I'll have to replace the sensor as well orrrrr? I can just leave it?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers for the good advice Steve
(incidentally i really do need to meet up soon and buy you a beer or some cake)
Have you seen my Curborough thread on the PCGB forum. OK it's not until October but will still be a great chance to meet up

Furthermore I've changed the NTC sensor in the heater blower duct (see link) and thats not helped. the heater blower/engine cooler fan still comes on when the ignition is on prior to starting the engine... any ideas?
AFAIK there's no problem with the blower starting up with the ignition on. Turn the CCU to the blue dot and it should stop. A failed NTC sensor causes the blower to run with the ignition off and key out which of course is not good news. Sounds like you're OK to me.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
da_gleadless
Advanced

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Have you seen my Curborough thread on the PCGB forum. OK it's not until October but will still be a great chance to meet up

AFAIK there's no problem with the blower starting up with the ignition on. Turn the CCU to the blue dot and it should stop. A failed NTC sensor causes the blower to run with the ignition off and key out which of course is not good news. Sounds like you're OK to me.
Yes I've seen the thread Steve and its on my radar, though October does seem far away.

I've just been outside and checked the 964 and followed your advice... Your right!

I suppose this is what you get for being a paranoid noob (wish the porsche technician had given me better advice mind), but you cant fault me for caring

I wonder what Sean will say when I ask if I can return the part

I think you had all better wish me luck with the stat insert for the weekend lol

Quick Reply: Cheers Rennlisters!