Sponsored by:

This cant be normal can it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by darth
Jerry

Sounds like the shocks are too short and with the collars adjusted up high the springs are being compressed because the shock is topped out!

Bill
Hmm i dont know, New Bilstein HD's with H&R reds should be the right combo shouldnt it???
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Jerry, got your pm, but pulled out the laptop, gotta talk you down from the edge, back away from the edge, this will all work out, just put the hammer down...

take a look at this and compare, I have to admit most of the time I look at the springs they are hanging in the air, so looking at coil bind with the weight of the car on it is a little suprising, but I can assure you this is a great setup and works wonders on the street and track.

Jim
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Boeing 717

Hmmm yea thats what mine looks like except all 4 at top are touching. Hey thanks for taking that picture J.
So this is normal then??? I still dont know though because my ride height is still pretty low, im not even at 145 mm's in the front and i dont think i could move it up too much more. Tomorrow ill climb under there and see if i can see the middle portion and ill raise it even more if i can.
Im going to call H&R tomorrow and see what they say about it. Thanks J Richards i appreciate it.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:31 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I'm not an expert in shock/spring brands and which combination works with our cars. I'm just going by what you described in that the ride height is still not as high as it should be or not as high as you'd like it and you've adjusted the collars up high to put more pressure upwards and the springs are compressing rather than raising the car. This can be due to either of 2 things - either the springs are not strong enough or the shock is at its' maximum extension. Is there anyway you can measure the length of the shock to see if it is at its' maximum length?

Bill
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Yep. this is a fully aligned and cornerbalanced setup. (forgive the dirt, sort of like having your laundry out) the RS racecar looks considerably different due to linear springs, it looks more like what you would think, equal spaces between each coil. Like I said before you have to remember half the shock travel will be in rebound so the springs have to expand as well as compress while maintaining proper rates.

Remember that under normal circumstances the spring will always be the same length moving the collar up or down simply raises or lowers the car.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by darth
Sorry I'm not an expert in shock/spring brands and which combination works with our cars. I'm just going by what you described in that the ride height is still not as high as it should be or not as high as you'd like it and you've adjusted the collars up high to put more pressure upwards and the springs are compressing rather than raising the car. This can be due to either of 2 things - either the springs are not strong enough or the shock is at its' maximum extension. Is there anyway you can measure the length of the shock to see if it is at its' maximum length?

Bill
No i appreciate your input Bill, but im trying to picture what your saying. When you adjust them you do it with the wheel off and the car rasied in the air correct?? So the wheel assembly is at full down travel then when i put the car on the ground the shock shortens. Its a little confusing to me.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by J richard

Remember that under normal circumstances the spring will always be the same length moving the collar up or down simply raises or lowers the car.
Yea thats what i thought because the weight on the spring is the same whether the perch is at the top of the shock body or the bottom. Do you think its possible though that these springs have been abused and softened up substantially? Like i said earlier H&R told me that you really cant hurt them unless they've been super heated or something radical like that.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Yea thats what i thought because the weight on the spring is the same whether the perch is at the top of the shock body or the bottom. Do you think its possible though that these springs have been abused and softened up substantially? Like i said earlier H&R told me that you really cant hurt them unless they've been super heated or something radical like that.
No, no chance unless they were burned and lost temper theyed have no paint. You're fine.

Quick Reply: This cant be normal can it???