964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

state trooper likes his buddy's "nine-six-four..."

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:41 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default state trooper likes his buddy's "nine-six-four..."

Trapster on my Droid saved my *** again, last night... around 11:20 pm, i was coming back from somewhere about 270 miles from my home, and i had it cranked up around 120 or so... after passing a bad accident, now running about 12-15 miles ahead...

then trapster alerts me to a speed trap hotspot... i let off the gas and was coasting for a few seconds and in that collection of moments, a tractor about 2 1/10ths of mile ahead starts showing brakelights... suspicious, i start braking but it was very dark and i figure "...too close to the accident for there to be a bear in the wait."

WRONG !! the silhouette of a highway patrol vehicle starts to emerge from the dark background... and that's when i really get on my big brakes.

too late. this time my luck has finally run out.

55 mph zone of all things because it's an extreme traffic zone...

dead.

i pull off the breakdown lane onto a tall grassy knoll, and he also pulls off into the high grass... so here i am, on the grassy knoll of shame, as all the traffic i just dusted off - cruises by... seems like an eternity... finally after about 3 or 4 minutes, he walks up and asks me if i got license and registration. i inform him that i do...

him: "what seems to be the trouble this evening; did you know i had you on radaar going 91 miles per hour ?"

me: "i just got my car serviced and i was in a bit too much of a hurry to get home... really dumb because i haven't been pulled over in a very long time..."

him: "that was the next thing i was going to ask you... do you always drive like this ? where's home ? and where are you coming from ?

[i gave him my origin about "god i just got caught 36 mph over" miles back, and home, is metrowest "i'm so dead" Boston about so and so miles ahead].

next i give him the bad news:

me: "i have a problem... my wallet with my driver's license is resting inside my duffle bag in the back... i'll need to go back there and get it..."

him: "that's fine - you can get out and do that."

so i pop the hatch of my (968) and i start fiddling around the duffle bag, which is really making me nervous because it's dark as hell out here on the knoll and he's probably wondering if i have a gun... [oh, wait... that's what the 3 minutes was all about. he already knows my life story right ? so now he has no worries... (doesn't even know that i'm a "believer" in the "fema camps are real" context)]....

shining his light on the inside of the passenger side quarter panel, he askes about the system; "...noticed the amps (my two giant Rockford D-class monsters on passenger side of the seat delete), is that subwoofer built into your fender ?" i inform him that it is...

we start having a conversation about the car for a minute or so... and he says one of his co-workers is "selling his 911, it's an '89."

i clue him in on his friend's car being a "classic, Nine-Six-Four," a beloved, air-cooled, all-wheel-drive 911.

i hand him my DL and he says, "so are we going to have any problems, DUI's, warrants, felonies ?...."

i inform him, "NO, the last time i got a ticket was like 17 or 18 years ago," (so nervous, i forgot that my last ticket was actually 12 1/2 years ago), and he tells me i can go back and have a seat in the car.

Me: "what about my registration and insurance ? you need that ?"

him: "no that's not necessary..."

minutes go by... seems like he's back there about 10 minutes... Damn, 'he's going to throw the book at me, man if he's back there another minute i'm screwed..."

finally, i hear a thud behind me and he begins his second walk-up to my car:

"i was talking to my partners about the accident... real mess... sorry about that... well i'f i pull anyone over it has to be pretty serious, so this is what i'm going to do... I've written you a warning for a loud muffler (my hooker maxflow muffler is quite loud) and having you estimated at 12 miles per hour over the limit...

"now, here's the thing Allan, i heard your muffler half a mile back up the road... heard you decelerating from God only knows what speed.... you have to slow down, man, you're still gonna get there. be safe ok ?"

in astonishment I reach out to shake his hand and say, "thank you. i really don't know what to say... thanks a lot."

ask him his name and i can't pronounce it... and thank him again.

YIKES.

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 05-03-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
rarebear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unbelievable !!! praise the Lord ! reminds me of an incident with my 964, I was waiting for a traffic light when someone knocked on my window... I looked.. and of all people it was a policeman on a Honda motorbike (they are usually the most strict policemen in our neck of the woods, who would not be ,freezing to death on a bike all day !?)
I was frantically thinking: what did I do wrong ? opened the window and the policeman said:
what a great sound your 911 !!
pheeeewwww
Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

how did a 968 turn into a 964 at the end of the story?
Did you pass thru a FEMA camp?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
how did a 968 turn into a 964 at the end of the story?
"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah. 220 - 221... whatever it takes."
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

CLARIFICATION: that his FRIEND'S CAR is referred to as a "NINE-SIX-FOUR" among Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
germanspeed
Instructor

TRAPSTER ROCKS....love my droid
Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
CLARIFICATION: that his FRIEND'S CAR is referred to as a "NINE-SIX-FOUR" among Porsche enthusiasts.
I get it now. I am slow its only monday
Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah- that's the problem with non-stock exhausts they can give you away long before you get there
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

you all can't imagine how sweet the sound is when you come off the throttle.

wait - yes, you all CAN imagine...

Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM
tniccum
Track Day

Great story!

I have sort of the opposite - same result though.

I was doing business regularly in South Jersey, and would fly into PHL, rent a car and drive to my destination. On this particular trip, I had no reason to hurry, so I set my cruise control right at the speed limit and puttered along the AC Expressway, singing along with the radio.

A few minutes later I have a NJ state trooper behind me pulling me over. This is one of the few times I ever drove the speed limit, so it was a bit confusing. I got the normal grilling - where are you coming from, going, etc.

I ended up with a warning ticket - driving 55 in a 55 - for "obstructing traffic."

I still have it somewhere.

Tom
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Default if you're not using this device you might be making a mistake...

__

i posted this on OFF TOPIC two weeks ago after my trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Boston, my summer home.

wifey flew home after our winter in Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood/Miami area...

I drove the 968...

Verizon Wireless' steady coverage/Motorola Droid/Google/Android/Trapster...

and why it takes such a lethal combination to make it all work, imawo.

i wanted to determine if Trapster really works or not. i didn't have much of a chance to find out until yesterday.

for all of you who are still not using Trapster, time to give your blackberry or i-phone to your kid and get a serious, phone that's at the same level as your automobile... i feel the costs of doing this are justified. here's why...

the new Motorola Droid phone came out a couple of months ago... it's one of the most tecnological phones on earth, [though, i can't remember half the reasons why]...

normally the phone lists for around 600 dollars, but verizon has sweetened the deal somewhat with best buy, so you can pick up the phone for a C note + one of their costly monthy plans. [verizon will recoup the 500 dollars quickly, because this is the one - phone/technology/trapster/coverage/usage PLAN package that you will instantly fall in love with, AND discover you simply can no longer live without.

GO DROID, [not blackberry or i-phone] - not only for the state-of-the-art technology of Google Android OS - or the ergonomics of the handset itself - or becuase dealing with Apple and AT & T sucks - but also that the touch screen is large enough for easy viewing when the phone is sitting on your console a few feet from your head...

why not just use your i-phone and AT & T ? do so at your own peril on long stretches of interstate... when you enter a highway patrol kill zone and your connection to Trapster fails. [i wouldn't feel confident doing the test with AT & T, (cuz i know these assbags and their joke/lowbandwith quality of coverage)].

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=51152524202

http://trapster.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on exactly 1,000 miles of highway from Stirling Rd, Hollywood Florida, to about Fredricksberg, VA we encountered 26 live speed traps or traffic stops in progress...

We were alerted by Trapster with pinpoint precision of 10 "live police in waiting/or with stopped vehicle" and 14 "high target," speed traps. [indicating that it was likely there would be a highway patrol officer waiting there... AND THERE IN FACT, WAS.

imagine driving 85-90 mph, and the red alert signal comes on the screen... you slow to 70 mph as you close in on the target... the Droid's screen is plenty large that you'll see exactly where Trapster said it should be just the trap makes itself known on the freeway landscape just ahead.

what about when you're driving fast and you have "all clear" showing on Trapster ?

i was in the clear perhaps 90 - 95 % of the time during the entire 13 hours of driving time...

and on many other occasions the red signal came on and despite it being a high target, kill zone, there were no highway patrol present...

Trapster failed to alert me on only 1 speed trap or traffic stop out of the 25, but on this 1 occasion he was facing in the opposite direction...

To me, the cost of avoiding even 1 speeding ticket justifies my purchase of this phone and calling plan.

Attached Images     
Old 05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That would make for an excellent defense on traffic court against a real speeding ticke!

Originally Posted by tniccum
Great story!

I was doing business regularly in South Jersey, and would fly into PHL, rent a car and drive to my destination. On this particular trip, I had no reason to hurry, so I set my cruise control right at the speed limit and puttered along the AC Expressway, singing along with the radio.

A few minutes later I have a NJ state trooper behind me pulling me over. This is one of the few times I ever drove the speed limit, so it was a bit confusing. I got the normal grilling - where are you coming from, going, etc.

I ended up with a warning ticket - driving 55 in a 55 - for "obstructing traffic."

Tom
Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tniccum
Great story!

Tom
Tell me you weren't in the left lane!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Tell me you weren't in the left lane!
+1. I would have ticketed him for driving in the left lane on an empty highway .
Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
we start having a conversation about the car for a minute or so... and he says one of his co-workers is "selling his 911, it's an '89."

i clue him in on his friend's car being a "classic, Nine-Six-Four," a beloved, air-cooled, all-wheel-drive 911.

What if he came back and said "nope just a 3.2 RWD Carrera".

Quick Reply: state trooper likes his buddy's "nine-six-four..."