Sponsored by:

964 - No Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
...Then I did exactly what you asked and grabbed the pedal and moved it up and down and it immediately came back to the original height and I now have full clutch travel again.
Mine did that same thing at 85k, three years ago.
It was the clutch slave cylinder.
(I'm laying odds on that for yours.)
Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with elbeee964 that it's probably a problem with the clutch slave cylinder. The sinking pedal has been known to happen when bleeding the slave. Sounds like you might have gotten an air bubble in the slave somehow when you jacked up the car. Now that the air bubble has disappeared, for whatever reason, clutch pedal is back to normal.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked the level of brake fluid in the reservoir? The clutch master takes brake fluid from the same reservoir, but at a higher level. It is designed to fail first as a prelude to brake problems. I didn't see any mention of you checking the reservoir in the trunk. I'd be sure to do that first.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Have you checked the level of brake fluid in the reservoir? The clutch master takes brake fluid from the same reservoir, but at a higher level. It is designed to fail first as a prelude to brake problems. I didn't see any mention of you checking the reservoir in the trunk. I'd be sure to do that first.
Brake fluid levels were O.K. and fluid changed last October 2009 (less than 3,000 miles ago).
Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Thanks everyone for the assistance with this problem. After pulling on the pedal (which returned it to it's normal position) I drove around aggressively stopping and starting to see if any change would occur. Nothing abnormal detected. Decided to attend the Auto X as planned but watch out for any lingering symptoms. Had a mechanic friend at the track look over the system and make a determination and he thought a couple of scenarios;

1. Air bubble in the system.
2. Roll pin broken or failing.
3. Clutch master/slave cylinder needs replacement.

Everything that was suggested by fellow 'Rennlist' members and I thank you all. Now I will go through the car from the 'roll pin' first, then to the 'master/slave cylinders' and see where this problem is.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The fact that you pulled up the pedal and it came up and stayed up tells me that the problem was in the master .
It might have been a bit of grit .
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

"Indycam" your input was valuable, along with the other 'Rennlist' members who gave their suggestions. The car ran with no issues during the Auto X. I'm still going to have a look at the 'roll pin' and see what that's all about (more curiosity than ever but piece of mind also) and then address the Clutch Master Cylinder next. Might be time to replace it as well...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Pulling the pedal up didn't remove a bubble .
When you pulled up the pedal , did you feel metal on metal grinding / scraping ?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by Indycam
Pulling the pedal up didn't remove a bubble .
When you pulled up the pedal , did you feel metal on metal grinding / scraping ?
It was a very smooth pedal return to the normal position, with no grinding or scraping. What is your thought pattern for asking about smoothness and grinding?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

If it were a roll pin problem and you lifted the pedal and it started to work again , its unlikely that just a smooth , no grind , would set the roll pin right .
Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

The culprit was found yesterday and it's a leaking 'rubber hose' (at the connector) going to the Clutch Master Cylinder. I have not looked into the 'roll pin' as yet but will be disassembling the pedal cluster this weekend to inspect. Just for piece of mind, as it's been discussed and I new nothing about it...

Thanks for all the assistance...

Quick Reply: 964 - No Clutch Pedal