Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oops, I did something very bad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:20 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oops, I did something very bad...

My sunroof started to play up about 1 week ago. Fisrt some VERY LOUD noises for about 2-3 days, then bang, I closed it last week and heard a loud graunch, then nothing. No action. Push the button, and I can hear the motor , but no action. Did a trawl here and figured it must just be a broken cable. Appears there are 2 cables (left and right).

Anyway, had an hour today (Sunday) so thought I would open up and see which side and order part (cable?) tomorrow.

Unzipped roof lining, unscrewed cover panel, inserted and screwed in manual winder.. AND... turned it a bit TOO hard, and another loud BANG... manual crank now just turns easily, no resistance, but roof does NOT move. I should have checked as I was turning, but I think that one side was opening, but other side was still closed, so roof pulled one side open until it jammed at an angle, then my extra pressure snapped the good cable?

I had a look from the outside, and roof was askew. One side was still in the fully closed position, the other side was open about an inch. I pushed the closed side of the roof down and under to body, so now roof is open evenly about and 1"-2" right accross.

But now I'm stuck? How do I get it open to access cables (if that's what it is?). I assume manual winder still works on the cables, but what happens if bothe cables broken? How do you get to the workings without stripping interior lining out??

Last edited by JohnMetro; 05-02-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pull the motor out
Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a screw that holds the gear . Remove the screw and the cables will not be connected to the motor anymore . With the cables free you can move the roof panel by hand .
Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Thanks Indycam, that sounds a lot better than pulling the motor out! Will give it a go.

BTW, any tips on identifying the screw you mention?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Well, an update... I reallt screwed up big time.

Appears I busted the transmission ($840) plus a broken cable ($240) plus needs a couple of plastic guides ($24), This is all AU$, so deduct about 10% to convert to US$.!!!!

I feel stupid, angry and depressed. Oh well, it's only money.

PS. Just told the wife... MAJOR FIREWORKS! In summary, she says I need to give up my hobby!
Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sorry about the expensive bad news!

My sunroof recently stopped working correctly also, one side started to need encouragement so I didn't use it for a couple weeks. I really started missing having the top open (little wind comes in and you can hear the motor better).

I've never done any work in this area and was really afraid of the unknown up there?!

With the help of a couple links I started to gather some more courage:
Sunroof Help by dfinnegan https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642

and this pelican link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...oof_repair.htm

dfinnegan's thread helped a lot. After unsnapping the sunroof headliner and sliding it back, you have full access to the screws that loosen/remove the sunroof panel. Simply pushing up on the panel removes it and then you can check the cable guides and the channels/tracks that the sunroof slides on. That and the mechanisms at the back of the headliner (at the zipper) is most of what you need access to to fix most sunroof problems.

After removing the sunroof headliner, I cleaned everything, lined up the cable guides with the bolts and brackets from the sunroof, reattached the screw to the sunroof motor and everything worked perfectly. I'm not gloating, just surprised that it was so easy AND that I could do it.

I'm currently having my sunroof panel reupholstered, when it's done I'll create a thread with some pictures.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
PS. Just told the wife...
Are you nuts ?

How would you like to have the 1st light weight manually cranked 964 sunroof ?
The VW vanagon has a manual crank set up .

Or maybe I could ask at the local porsche "junk yard" for a price quote on those parts ?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Are you nuts ??
+1

I just quietly order parts and she has stopped asking....

Marc
Old 05-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
+1

I just quietly order parts and she has stopped asking....

Marc
No dear , I just cleaned and painted that part .
Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Sten
Pro

Let her buy herself a horse, running a 964 is cheap by comparison..
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

LOL - I read the comment first, as i scrolled down the screen, then thought 'Barry (Sten) would agree with that!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I showed the Mrs a cheque I wrote out for the engine rebuild.....she thought it very reasonable.....but doesn't know that there were three other cheques for each installment
Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Thanks for the encouragement and humour guys, makes me feel a little better

911Jetta
Thanks for the tips and links. Wish I had done more research beforehand... I don't think I would have gone about it with such casual abandon!

Indycam
Brilliant idea! There's a few kilo's wasted in motors and gearboxes... in all seriousness... just for a moment the thought crossed my mind that I should just make it a permanent hard top... have seen it done on other 964's!

Marc, Indycam, John B and others...
Hmmm, I need to squirrel away $ into a slush-fund... to cover my skunworks! Car is in my business name, all expenses run through the business, and wife does all the bank balancing and reconciliation for business accounts...

Buy her a horse? I bought her a holiday shack on the beach instead! Makes my bills seem like loose change. When we married 15 years ago, she knew about my weakness for sports cars. We (she?) agreed I could only have my toy AFTER we bought a holiday house. Well, we did that, and I said I need a hobby, and have narrowed choice down to either a mistress or a sports car. She said get the car, it'll be cheaper!!!

Anyway, my service guys already called 6 wreckers yesterday, they have found 3 in wrecked cars. They now just need to assess which one is best condition. I still can't believe the cost of original cable...
Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Sten
Pro

If you can find a pair in the UK I can ship them for you. There's possibly more Breakers here?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by Sten
If you can find a pair in the UK I can ship them for you. There's possibly more Breakers here?
Thanks Barry, but not sure I follow you?

Pair of whats?
Breakers? Where?

Quick Reply: oops, I did something very bad...