Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sill cover - parts laid out for all to see

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post, will print out and keep. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that I will do the shark fins as the rubber has shrunk . will do the sills at a later date

edit just looked up the part numbers I would need for the 'shark fin' looking bit.

the clips and grommets you refer to for the lnoger sill I think are these.

clip 999 591 916 40
grommet 999 702 160 40

Are they the same as on the shark fin bit? confused as it shows slightly different on the parts list and in your pics is shows the white bits still in the body work.

for the seals I get left 964 559 295 01
Right 964 559 296 01
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pesty
Thanks for that I will do the shark fins as the rubber has shrunk . will do the sills at a later date

edit just looked up the part numbers I would need for the 'shark fin' looking bit.

the clips and grommets you refer to for the lnoger sill I think are these.

clip 999 591 916 40
grommet 999 702 160 40

Are they the same as on the shark fin bit? confused as it shows slightly different on the parts list and in your pics is shows the white bits still in the body work.

for the seals I get left 964 559 295 01
Right 964 559 296 01
Attachment parts are different for shark fins (bolts on white nylon bases) vs. sills (bulb shaped pin on white nylon base, for pressing into red gromments - as shown in photos).
Old 05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You inspired me to finally fix up my shark fins. Niggly things but looking much better now. Unfortunately, the arched attachment points on the back of the passenger shark fin are actually broken. Has anyone has figured out how to deal with that?

Rich
Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
magnusk9
Intermediate

Maybe this is stupid question... I have quite a few of them.... if I am updating an SC to the 964 rockers...are the mounting points going to be the same or do I have to fabricate something?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

magnusk9,
No personal experience, but it looks like the sils get glued-on at the top and bolted on at the bottom and at the inside of the wheel wells. An SC doesn't have the indentations/screw holes molded in to the body. Even if you drilled holes and mimicked the 964 design, it might not sit flush at the top edge of the sil? I would use some type of automotive grade double sided tape before drilling...

Contact one of the guys in this Pelican thread: Up dating to 964 rocker panels
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=314144&referrerid=40740
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2010, 05:39 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by magnusk9
Maybe this is stupid question... I have quite a few of them.... if I am updating an SC to the 964 rockers...are the mounting points going to be the same or do I have to fabricate something?
If I understand your question correctly, one of the bolts with the white nylon base (which are used to attach the shark fins to the fender) has broken off the shark fin?

It's somewhat common, especially if the fin has previously been removed or if the bolt attacment has been repaired, since the white nylon base on the bolt is just glued onto the fin. The top one seems to get the most stress, so it is usually the problem.

At both bolt locations on the shark fins, there are two small alignment fins that fit into the slots in the white nylon bases of the bolts. There are also a couple of other raise lines to aid in alignment. However, if the shark fin has been repaired previously, these little fins may have broken off with the old nylon based bolt. Just establish the correct location using the old glue pattern, or hold the fin in place and mark it as accurately as you can.

To attach the bolts, scrape the surface of the fin with a utility knife blade or other sharp object to remove all the dirt and grime, and to roughen the surface to improve adhesion of the new glue. It's best to use new nylon based bolts, but you can scrape the old ones clean, if they are in good shape, and they can be reused.

The glue selection is critical. Believe me, I've repaired mine several times due to some abuse, and I tried several epoxies, Crazy glues and silicones before finding the right product. The best product is an epoxy specially formulated for plastics. Permatex makes a good one, but I'm sure there are others. Just be sure to get an epoxy especially formulated for PLASTICS!

Apply a big dab of the mixed epoxy to the shark fin in the area of the bolt. Press the nylon based bolt onto the small fins, or locate it as close to the correct location as you can if the fins are missing. Use plenty of glue and spread it up around the sides of the nylon base to increase the area of contact. Let it cure overnight, at a minimum. The epoxy mfg recommends 24 hours. I was able to tighten the nut on the bolt and snug my fins down nice and tight using this epoxy for plastics. Other products just let go. If you can tighten the nut firmly, the nylon base-to-shark fin adhesioin will probably hold it permanently.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:06 PM
magnusk9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by altarchsa
If I understand your question correctly, one of the bolts with the white nylon base (which are used to attach the shark fins to the fender) has broken off the shark fin?

Good luck!
Very informative answer and thank you very much... I think I may be misunderstanding the answer though.... I have an 85 SC that has the rockers with the rubber strip, I am doing away with that and attempting to go with the 964 rocker.. So I assume I will not have the holes for the plactic clips.. OR are these the same as where the screws go into on the older style rockers?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 PM
magnusk9
Intermediate

Hey 911 Jetta.. what is that color on your car? Looks similar to what I am gonna paint mine.
Is that a factory color? and did you black out your marker lights or buy them that way?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Oh.

I can't imagine how that will work. I would guess that none of the attachments of the two systems are the same. You would probably have to drill all the holes for the 964 rocker attachment.

If you're trying to make them like original 964, and I don't see why you would since there is nothing OE about your plan, the attachments are a combination of 1.) bolts on white nylon bases (attached to fins/rockers) that go through holes in body, and 2.) bulb shaped pins on white nylon bases (attached to rockers) that go into the red grommets that are set in holes in the body. Bolts are used at both shark fin attachment locations and at front end of rockers.

A sure-fire and easy way to get it right would be if you had a 964 friend who would let you remove his rockers/fins. Then you could take a long piece of paper (like butcher paper), locate it over the rocker area while establishing a common registration point for both cars, and mark the holes. Then you could transfer the hole locations to your car. If no contacts, I'd try visiting a salvage yard to do this.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by magnusk9
Hey 911 Jetta.. what is that color on your car? Looks similar to what I am gonna paint mine.
Is that a factory color? and did you black out your marker lights or buy them that way?
If he doesn't answer, signature says Slate Grey, which is factory color.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
magnusk9
Intermediate

It looked darker then slate grey that is why I asked.

The rockers I bought (which are factory ones) should be here next week. I was curious becuase the SC rockers attach with screws all of the way along the panel and I wondered it those location where the same as the points on the newer style.
I am sure I will be able to figure out the best way to attach. The front and rear bumpers are after market and I should have bought the matching sill covers at the time.... but I screwed up
Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 PM
GA964
7th Gear

911Jetta,

Just stumbled onto this thread at the perfect time as I am going to pull mine off and replace the weather strip that has shrunk 3-4 inches per side. thank you for the great write up and pics as it will make my job much easier over the holiday! Curious if the parts were in stock at your dealer/Pelican or if they had to be ordered?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:08 PM
JV44HeinzBar
Intermediate

Great post! I'm in the process of replacing a sharkfin that came off while I was driving....totally lost the fin as it was crushed by interstate traffic.

One thing I noticed on your car, Jetta, it lacks the painted ground line. Did it come factory or did you have ot painted? I've thought about removing the ground line, but my car is grand prix white. I've heard of people removing the line, but I actually haven't seen a car with this effect.

HB

Quick Reply: sill cover - parts laid out for all to see