964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sill cover - parts laid out for all to see

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014 | 02:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Welcome HB. Sorry to hear about your fin.

No, my ground line is not painted. I can see why it would look that way, given the combination of a Slate Grey car and dark images.

If you are interested in the look, there might be some examples in this thread (Only GP White Photos, Please)
Old 05-14-2014 | 03:01 PM
9six4
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting. I pulled mine off when I replaced my oil lines this winter, so I'll be installing the sill parts tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2014 | 04:49 PM
toma8344
5th Gear

Does anyone have a list of the parts needed for the body and the thermostat? Thanks!
Old 10-17-2015 | 07:35 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Doing this project now. And have had to expoxy the bolt type fasteners back on the shark fins and on the main rocker panel cover.

QUESTION: I get the rocker all back on, BUT, the last white faster that fits into the red plugs inserted in the body panel will not go in far enough to snap tight together. Sooo....it's not holding. This is the last one on towards the rear of the car, just ahead of the shark fin, circled here:

Any tricks here??

Maddening, as I have it all almost totally together, and this one will not hold, so the panel is loose there. : (

I have replaced all the fastener components with new parts.

It looks so obvious, but will not work.

TIA

Last edited by Super90; 10-17-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2015 | 08:48 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

thanks - nice photos
Old 10-17-2015 | 08:57 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

You need to make sure the body panel is straight, not bent inwards. Then support it from behind by reaching up in there whilst you press the stud in. That part of the car gets bent inward because there is nothing behind to support it.

I also cut the front tabs a little shorter on the shark fins where they slot in, have a look you will see they don't quite go into the side covers.
Old 10-17-2015 | 11:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
You need to make sure the body panel is straight, not bent inwards. Then support it from behind by reaching up in there whilst you press the stud in. That part of the car gets bent inward because there is nothing behind to support it. I also cut the front tabs a little shorter on the shark fins where they slot in, have a look you will see they don't quite go into the side covers.
Same advice here.

Have you actually got it connected and then had it disconnect due to the alignment? Mine took a fair push but held when connected.
Old 10-18-2015 | 01:56 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Thanks Gents.

Well, even taking a c-clamp and reaching back around inside and pressing carefully, sheet metal and plastic rocker cover together, right at that fastener, no success.

Seems the sheet metal around that female part of the fastener is pushed in and I'm going to have to McGyver a mechanism to carefully pull it out away from the centerline of the car, without deforming the anything else. I have to believe 1-2 millimeter will do the trick.

Last edited by Super90; 10-18-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2015 | 10:53 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

By the way, one thing I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone disassembling the main rocker panels, having already removed the "shark fin":

Remove the small plastic cover in the front wheel well FIRST. Loosen and remove the plastic nut (10mm) that is accessed inside that cover. I am posting the pics from the OP to show where this nut is, the plastic cover has been removed revealing the opening to access it.

THEN remove the other fasteners, those being the plastic nuts underneath, and then carefully pulling the other snap fasteners loose across that engage on the topside.

IF you remove all the other fasteners BEFORE doing that, and then loosen that one fastener inside the front wheel well last in the process, you almost assuredly will put too much torque on that bolt fastener attached to the rocker cover, and will break it off, thereby necessitating the whole "epoxy" exercise to reattach it. I feel almost certain this will avoid all of that.

Unfortunately, this fastener is the most hidden of all, leading to it being the last discovered, and....it's too late, the damage has already been done.

Last edited by Super90; 10-18-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2015 | 05:23 PM
HiWind
Race Car

nice job Udo ... did mine last week and got the white and red bits from Wurth direct and yes bought extra's as you said.

Did the end fixings with the bolt attached sit well on yours? Mine had bits missing so I expoxied them onto the trim to ensure a snig fit .. and yes my old rubber trim is also 2cm too short.
Old 10-20-2015 | 03:17 AM
Netbug
Rennlist Member

I purchased all the strips, and not I'm going to order up all the clips. Looking forward to doing this little project.
Old 10-20-2015 | 03:01 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super90
QUESTION: I get the rocker all back on, BUT, the last white faster that fits into the red plugs inserted in the body panel will not go in far enough to snap tight together. Sooo....it's not holding.

Any tricks here??

Maddening, as I have it all almost totally together, and this one will not hold, so the panel is loose there. : (

I have replaced all the fastener components with new parts.

It looks so obvious, but will not work.

TIA
I remember having this problem with one of the clips too.
- First make sure you are also using new red female plugs too.
- I think someone suggested attaching the red plug to the white clip on the sil, snap them together (so they are locked-on), then press the them through the hole in the body. I remember having to do this for one of the clips...

Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: sill cover - parts laid out for all to see