Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, good I had some advice from you guys since the wheel was actually cracked.

So, I am now waiting for delivery of a new Cup 1 wheel from Germany.

If all goes well I will have my car back on the road by next weekend.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

- Michiel
Old 05-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to read that you are getting a new wheel.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:16 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Just curious - did they show you the crack, or did they just tell you there was one? If you can't see a crack, they may just be convincing you to purchase new, and if insurance covers it, that is the way to go. I would try to keep the old wheel and get it inspected by somebody independent. I might be OK.

Obviously, disregard if you can see the crack.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Also I would get exotic or collector car insurance so you can use anyone you want to in the future.
Also if the insurance company picks the repair place don't they warranty for life?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I did see the crack... actually: the other rear wheel was also cracked.

So both are getting replaced. I may save the Cup 1's and go aftermarket after the tires are worn... for some reason many of the 964 and 993 wheels have cracked according to the dealer. May be a combination of elements, but the bad roads and the lack of signage of gaps may have something to do with it. I am most certainly sticking with 17" at most.

As far as insurance goes... that's another story. There is no appreciation for classic cars here. The general population in this neck of the woods just looks at it as another old car... and there are loads of old (crappy - old) cars around here. My insurance wasn't the problem (though they could have been more pro-active, but I'm expecting too much now)... I've got full coverage, but the other party's insurance did not look at it as a classic car. My insurance needed to deal with the other party's insurance since I wasn't at fault. But if the other party wouldn't pay up I could have leaned on my insurance.

After the first insurance agent came by, they recognized this wasn't just another old car and is in better shape and better cared for than most cars they've seen.

But I had to insist on a dealer repair. They made my life hard hoping I would give up in the end.

Me on the other hand refused to move the car from the dealer to any other place, started calling the insurance every day and asked if they prefer to talk to my lawyer on the next phone call after attempt 10 or so. 70 days after the accident it is finally sorted.

Quick Reply: Minor accident