Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first 911... now I need a rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
92silver964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update?

Hey, Andrew. It's been a month. How's the rebuild going? Mine is progressing slowly so I hope yours is going better. How are the JE's working out? Cheers.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Steve,

Its going alright, Wicky has let me know that it should be done by the end of next week or so. I'm not in any particular rush as I'm still trying to save a bit of money to pay for this whole project! I sent him a set of WEVO motor mounts, a custom Wong chip, and I've asked him to reinforce the engine mount bracket per some photos I've found here on rennlist. The heads are out for their work at the machine shop and I just realized I need to ask EBS about whether the cams are ready. So I guess we're not at the point of knowing how the JE's will work out just yet :-)

I'm deciding whether I should try to put my race exhaust on before or after CA smog haha.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by AndrewLang
Steve,

Its going alright, Wicky has let me know that it should be done by the end of next week or so. I'm not in any particular rush as I'm still trying to save a bit of money to pay for this whole project! I sent him a set of WEVO motor mounts, a custom Wong chip, and I've asked him to reinforce the engine mount bracket per some photos I've found here on rennlist. The heads are out for their work at the machine shop and I just realized I need to ask EBS about whether the cams are ready. So I guess we're not at the point of knowing how the JE's will work out just yet :-)

I'm deciding whether I should try to put my race exhaust on before or after CA smog haha.
Amazing - just got my Wevo blacks and Rennline brace (only $75 and btw they have a decent set of instructions on how to weld it on), and plan to order the SW chip any day now. Not having any head work done though. Ended up going to Dougherty for his 993SS cam, but I don't think it will be too much different than what you are getting from EBS. Can't quite pull the trigger on the JE's just yet - sweating bb's over that one. Thanks for filling us in on your progress. Look forward to hearing good news from you. Cheers.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 AM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by 92silver964
Amazing - just got my Wevo blacks and Rennline brace (only $75 and btw they have a decent set of instructions on how to weld it on), and plan to order the SW chip any day now. Not having any head work done though. Ended up going to Dougherty for his 993SS cam, but I don't think it will be too much different than what you are getting from EBS. Can't quite pull the trigger on the JE's just yet - sweating bb's over that one. Thanks for filling us in on your progress. Look forward to hearing good news from you. Cheers.
Hey Steve,

I noticed your post in another thread of mine so I thought I'd come on here and post an update. Wicky finished building my engine and says it pulls quite well. Apparently there is still a stalling issue but he says I should be able to get that addressed with Steve Wong once I get the car dyno'd and get an AFR output to him.

I actually hard the car shipped over to California from Nashville and it arrived this week. Unfortunately I'm in China on business and I wont have a chance to drive the car until Wednesday... needless to say I can't wait. Its been over six months since I bought the car. I still need to get the car smogged and registered in CA, after that I can change out the exhaust. I've spent all week just reading Rennlist thinking of what I want to start tinkering with first

I still need to get rid of my 500whp Subaru so I can have more money to blow on my new car though!

How is your build going Steve? I'll let you know what kind of power I put down when I get a chance to take it to my local shop.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by AndrewLang
Hey Steve,

I noticed your post in another thread of mine so I thought I'd come on here and post an update. Wicky finished building my engine and says it pulls quite well. Apparently there is still a stalling issue but he says I should be able to get that addressed with Steve Wong once I get the car dyno'd and get an AFR output to him.

I actually hard the car shipped over to California from Nashville and it arrived this week. Unfortunately I'm in China on business and I wont have a chance to drive the car until Wednesday... needless to say I can't wait. Its been over six months since I bought the car. I still need to get the car smogged and registered in CA, after that I can change out the exhaust. I've spent all week just reading Rennlist thinking of what I want to start tinkering with first

I still need to get rid of my 500whp Subaru so I can have more money to blow on my new car though!

How is your build going Steve? I'll let you know what kind of power I put down when I get a chance to take it to my local shop.
As a matter of fact I am going to visit my mechanic this afternoon, for what I hope will be my last "visit" before I drive it home in a week or so! Between my own protracted deliberations about "while you are in there" upgrades, typical discoveries, and the reality that the mechanic has other Porsches to work on, it has been almost five months! My genuine angst over not having the car for that long is tempered by the expectation that it will almost be like getting my first 911 all over again.

Have a safe trip home and I hope the reunion with your car is all you hope it to be. I will similarly post how my "new" car seems (once I finally get out of it).

Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

So Ive been driving the car the last few days, and I couldn't be happier, the engine feels so strong. I still need to pick up an air filter and open up the airbox. There's just so much many projects to do! I can't get over the sound this engine makes, absolutely beautiful.

I'll post up dyno results when I get them.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Hi Andrew,
I had not seen your post until today - Glad you had Wicky do the work - he is my mechanic and he is outstanding. Has actually come in under estimate everytime so far!

Currious, did you buy a guards red with black interior - from cookville Tn?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brentflyfish
Hi Andrew,
I had not seen your post until today - Glad you had Wicky do the work - he is my mechanic and he is outstanding. Has actually come in under estimate everytime so far!

Currious, did you buy a guards red with black interior - from cookville Tn?
Yep that is the car. Definitely a small world. Are you familiar with it?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Yes I am - was one I drove and refused given the issues you no doubt are aware of. The sellar was a nice guy and if you got it at the right price it should have been nice once rebuilt - it was in good shape as I recall. Would be interesting to talk at some point regarding what you had to have done. Feel free to PM me and we can review if you are interested.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brentflyfish
Yes I am - was one I drove and refused given the issues you no doubt are aware of. The sellar was a nice guy and if you got it at the right price it should have been nice once rebuilt - it was in good shape as I recall. Would be interesting to talk at some point regarding what you had to have done. Feel free to PM me and we can review if you are interested.
Like you say the car was in good shape body wise and interior wise. I was pretty impressed with it. The owner was obsessed with taking care of the car, it just had a big problem that he couldn't have done much about. He must have been somewhat aware of it as the price was already low when I came to see it and when I showed him the leakdown results I got it down quite a bit more. I could tell he'd seen those results before and was more willing to negotiate.

Everything I put in the motor is listed on page 2, if you want more details feel free to contact me. I'm still running the stock exhaust and can't wait to get rid of that.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first 911... now I need a rebuild.