Sponsored by:

Das roll bar install tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d964
4.5 hours in and I don't want to do this. I hope everything is out so I can start to put it back together. I have a bunch of questions guys.
Do the side panels fit back in WITHOUT modification?
I am having a hard time putting the bottom cross bar in. The seat belt reel guide(steel tab with hole) is always in the way, on 1 side or the other. Any tips?
If someone is willing to PM me their #, if I need more help or encouragement, that would be great!
thanks
Dwane
The side panels will go in without modification. There is a tab on the inside of the side panel that must slide into a guide below the window. But this step doesn't happen untill the very end and it sounds like you are at the beginning if you are still having trouble with the cross-bar.

The bottom cross bar should have been the first thing that you bolted in. The bottom cross bar will slide over the seat belt reel guide effectively crushing it against the body and rendering it unusable as a guide. I then had to take 3 or 4 tries to get the holes lined up close enough to start the bolts enough to catch a couple of threads. I also had to play around with which side to start first. Also, since the seat belt retractor guides are now useless, when you get to re-installing the seat belts, which is one of the last steps, you will have to find the correct angle to tighten down the retractor or you won't be able to pull the seat belt out of the retractor reel.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Mike, Did you help the crushing of the seat belt guide with a hammer? Or was it just from playing around with the cross bar? I was thinking of cutting it off with a Dremel.
I couldn't visualize the side panels coming over the bar bracket.
It might be from all the leg and back pain I'm feeling.
thanks
Dwane
Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d964
Hey Mike, Did you help the crushing of the seat belt guide with a hammer? Or was it just from playing around with the cross bar? I was thinking of cutting it off with a Dremel.
I couldn't visualize the side panels coming over the bar bracket.
It might be from all the leg and back pain I'm feeling.
thanks
Dwane
My seat belt guides got crushed from all the maneuvering of the cross bar although, I suppose a rubber mallet or your dremel could help the job along. I hope that by the time you read this that you already have the cross bar installation figured out. I understand the leg and back pain. Your body gets contorted in some strange positions trying to gain a little leverage over the bar.

Quick Reply: Das roll bar install tips