Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Month Old Gas ... Should I Worry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Month Old Gas ... Should I Worry?

I know gas has a shelf life ... But I want to see if I can get some insightful advice from you guys ...

My cars been in the shop for about 4 months now. I didn't expect it to be in there so long, so I never added any fuel stabilizers. Now that I'm about to get it back, eating away at the back of my head is the thought that the gas is probably garbage by now.

The engine has pretty much been rebuilt, I'd rather not take any chances.

I'm thinking about siphoning the old, which I'd rather not do since I have NO idea what to do with it then ... Storm drains are great oil disposals, but I'd rather not over do it with 15 gallons of gas (I am of coarse, kidding)

Any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

add some more new gas and drive it.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

one of my game plans is to show up to the shop with 5 gallons of 100 octane ...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull a sample. Any FI service kit has the fitting that attaches to the port on the fuel rail. If thae gas looks clear and smells like gas, it is fine. I would still change the fuel filter soon after it is gone.

If it is brown and smells like rotten terpentine, you should drain it.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:10 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I put my car to sleep in October and awaken her in April without problems. I do start her up once a month during this time, but same gas the whole 6 months......
Old 04-25-2010, 04:11 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i store my car every winter for 4-5 months and i have never used stabilizer. my research has concluded that with good fuel, stabilizer is not needed unless storage exceeds 6 months.

its not just me either. i bet almost every summer car, motorcycle, lawn mower, snow blower, quad, and chainsaw never sees stabilizer.

just give it a smell, make sure its still gas, add some new stuff, and drive it.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Hi,

I have owned four 911's and never ran when the salt is down in the uk,I can say that my practice is lay-up with the fuel light just on and put a fresh gallon in on the first start up.
Then tank it up and drive around,but motorbikes are totally different than a car I would recommend on them drain it totally off as my gsxr was a pain one year to get going again after the winter lay-up.
While were talking fuel here,I am driving to classic lemans this year and was wondering about taking some fuel addative with me as I'll need some petrol while i'm over there.
Can one of the French rennlisters tell me that the octane level is the same as the uk.

Gaz
Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulie964
one of my game plans is to show up to the shop with 5 gallons of 100 octane ...
Thats a waste of a lot of money.
Just put super in it.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, stop worrying, fill her up and forget about it! These cars sit around all the time at dealerships etc without the need to drain the tank everytime they get sold, moved etc. Lifes too short.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

alright, I admit, I'm just being paranoid ... just with all the time and funds being poured into this project, I didn't want to cut any corners

thanks for all your insight
Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Yeah.. you need to get rid of that gas quick! Fill it with premium and go for a long drive, and as the back on the bottle says... repeat...
Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paullie:

My 993 is stored winters and runs fine on stale gas. As mentioned above, you could put some fresh fuel in, if there's room.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Yeah.. you need to get rid of that gas quick! Fill it with premium and go for a long drive, and as the back on the bottle says... repeat...
Believe me, after 4 months of missing my car, as soon as I get it back I'm going to drive the !@#$ out of it ... I'm scheduling a day off to do so. I plan on going through a tank of gas and I plan on getting a ticket ... indeed!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I plan on getting a ticket"
Beach blanket bingo ?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Just did a top end rebuild this winter, had her taken apart down the to case. The car was sitting with a few gallons in the tank of shell 93 oct and when I went to start her up she did so with no problems at all. If you put good fuel in I think that you should be fine. I took the car for her first drive to the shell station and filled her up, no problems 500 miles later.

I would take it easy for your first tank of gas, or 300 miles whichever comes first. Let everything get settled back in and properly lubed up. Also, do a few leaps up to around 5k rpm's in third and let her use the engine as a brake to put the inside of the case under a bit of negative pressure stress, if you had piston rings replaced this is a must to make sure that they set in both ways (positive and negative pressure)

Like I said, I would take it a little easy at first, but I am already putting the car through her paces and working her hard. Have my first DE in June, can't wait.

Good luck!

Ian

Quick Reply: 4 Month Old Gas ... Should I Worry?