Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Widebody Respray

Old 04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking C4 Widebody Respray

Well my car finally goes in for a full respray tomorrow morning so I have had a busy few weeks ordering new parts and sorting through them all. First job will be to sort out under the arches. When I had the front wheel well liners off about 6 months back I noticed that whoever fitted the arch extensions didn't do a particularly good job of tidying everything up under there so I will be having that all dealt with and properly protected against the dreaded rust. I have got some new wheel arch liners and all new nuts and bolts as well to complete the job. All the rubber seals will be replaced including the front scuttle seals discussed in a recent thread.

Sorting through and labelling a parts delivery.

I had a replica Turbo S spoiler to fit this weekend so I spent Saturday getting ready for that.

I debadged the decklid.

Removed the spoiler motor and all the associated wiring.

Then punched the holes in the mesh grill and got that fitted.

This morning I set about getting the spoiler mounted to the decklid.

Quickly masked off the engine bay as I didn't want to drop any nuts, bolts or washers in there. This proved to be a worthwhile job within 2 mins of starting to remove the decklid!!!

Once off the car I removed the automatic spoiler.

I was really nervous about having to drill the mounting holes in the decklid but actually it wasn't half as bad as expected. The first 2 mounting points on the spoiler are marked and match the front mounts for the automatic spoiler. As a result it was simple to attach these 2 and accurately mark out all the other mounting points and drill them.

At this stage I haven't fitted the thick rubber seal that goes between the decklid and the spoiler as this needs to be glued to the spoiler once painted so I will leave the bodyshop to sort that out.

I then got the decklid mounted back on the car and grabbed some snaps of the end product. Not sure about the black & tan look myself.

I will try and get to the bodyshop once a week to get some photos throughout the process and will post some updates when I can. It's going to be a long 4 weeks without the car but I am really looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Jim, might be a good time to add an RS center section to your rear bumper.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Jim, might be a good time to add an RS center section to your rear bumper.
I had considered it but I just wasn't sure it was worth the cost.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice looking car that you have there Jim! The tail is really going to set the tone for your new look. Just curious, the paint on your car looks very shiny, are you doing a full re-spray because of some rust issues?

BTW, I read that in some places in England gas is up to 9.00 per gal. USD, is that correct?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Looks can be deceptive. She's a 10ft marvel, 2ft munter I'm afraid. There are a fair few dings and knocks around it that need sorting out and the paint on the bonnet and roof is not in good shape at all.

Yeah petrol is at an all time high here right now. Locally it about £1.20 per litre but at a motorway services on Friday I had to pay £1.34 a litre for diesel.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
Looks can be deceptive. She's a 10ft marvel, 2ft munter I'm afraid. There are a fair few dings and knocks around it that need sorting out and the paint on the bonnet and roof is not in good shape at all.

Yeah petrol is at an all time high here right now. Locally it about £1.20 per litre but at a motorway services on Friday I had to pay £1.34 a litre for diesel.
Ouch! That's about $2.10 CDN/litre. Just filled up at $1.13 CDN yesterday or about $4 US/gallon for our American friends. Over $7/gallon at UK rates!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Time for a long overdue update.

All in all this has turned into a massive project requiring far more work than ever anticipated. When they started getting into it they found the fitment of the Turbo arch extensions had been done so badly there was no point trying to rememdy what they had done so the whole lot was removed. Both front and rear wings were completely stripped down and the arch extensions refitted.

They also found that many of the narrow body parts had been "modified" in order to work with the wider arches so all of those parts had to be replaced with new genuine items as finding second hand turbo bumper brackets, wing struts etc was proving impossible. The sills and sharks fins were poor aftermarket copies made of fibreglass which had been glued to the body and then painted on the car Again trying to find second hand turbo versions was impossible and even one of the breakers I contacted was looking for a set to repair a damaged car they had out the back. As a result the budget went out the window long ago and the total cost is going to be double what I had planned for but you get what you pay for I guess.

I'm afraid I haven't got any pictures even though I have been and seen the car several times to drop off parts and discuss the work. In the end I didn't bother with my own snaps as the body shop have taken dozens of pictures throughout the process which I have viewed in the office and they are putting together a CD with them all on for me as they know I wanted to document everything for the history folder.

Hopefully the long wait is nearly over. I popped in earlier today to drop off the last of the parts and they were busy sanding it down ready for the next coat of primer. It should be painted by the end of the week and I should get it back at the end of the week after.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Can't wait to see it. Thank you for the update.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
Time for a long overdue update.

All in all this has turned into a massive project requiring far more work than ever anticipated. When they started getting into it they found the fitment of the Turbo arch extensions had been done so badly there was no point trying to rememdy what they had done so the whole lot was removed. Both front and rear wings were completely stripped down and the arch extensions refitted.

They also found that many of the narrow body parts had been "modified" in order to work with the wider arches so all of those parts had to be replaced with new genuine items as finding second hand turbo bumper brackets, wing struts etc was proving impossible. The sills and sharks fins were poor aftermarket copies made of fibreglass which had been glued to the body and then painted on the car Again trying to find second hand turbo versions was impossible and even one of the breakers I contacted was looking for a set to repair a damaged car they had out the back. As a result the budget went out the window long ago and the total cost is going to be double what I had planned for but you get what you pay for I guess.

I'm afraid I haven't got any pictures even though I have been and seen the car several times to drop off parts and discuss the work. In the end I didn't bother with my own snaps as the body shop have taken dozens of pictures throughout the process which I have viewed in the office and they are putting together a CD with them all on for me as they know I wanted to document everything for the history folder.

Hopefully the long wait is nearly over. I popped in earlier today to drop off the last of the parts and they were busy sanding it down ready for the next coat of primer. It should be painted by the end of the week and I should get it back at the end of the week after.
This is exactly why I'm happy with my "10 ft marvel, 2 ft munter"...I'm afraid of what will be uncovered. Crash repair? Rust under seals? Who knows?

That said...your car will look great when it's done. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM
hawk911
Race Car

so while you're in there turned out not to be a good thing, huh? sorry you hit bad mods, but like other's have said... you'll appreciate the final result in the end.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

I went into this with open eyes and always knew that there was a risk of it costing far more. At the end of the day I wanted a proper job and that's what I'll get at the end of it so I am not going to complain but the longer waiting time is killing me!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Polman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, try www.teile.pl they have a lot off used parts for sale.....not VERY chep, but you can give them a call and bargain.....worth a shoot!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Polman
Jim, try www.teile.pl they have a lot off used parts for sale.....not VERY chep, but you can give them a call and bargain.....worth a shoot!
I wish I'd known this at the start of the project but nevermind, will bookmark that one for future reference.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Well the car finally has some paint on it! I wasn't sure if I actually wanted to see it once it was painted but still in bits but in the end I couldn't resist a quick peek at it whilst I was there. Still on track to get it back for the weekend provided there are no problems putting it all back together.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sweet!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Widebody Respray