Sponsored by:

Price opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price opinions?

A friend of mine is interested in purchasing this nicely babied '90 Cab w/28k miles and wants a realistic opinion on pricing...Which is why I am here, of course. I think the car is located in AZ. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

http://www.factorymuscle.net/1990/Po...iolet-C2/55749
Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Amazing. I have not seen pictures of any 964 that represented a more pristine example with so many accessories, records, etc. Wish I had one as nice.

However, what's with all the red paint overspray on the underbody parts? Looks like a careless paint job, either a re-spray or repairs from an accident. CarFax?

For a keeper? Resale a consideration? I ask because I think the color combo is a little unusual and may be desireable to a smaller segment of buyers.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, where do these cars come from??? Very nice.
Nothing looks out of the ordinary, except in the sense that that is what the underside looks like when they're clean! (or so I'm told )
Something about those clean wheel wells just knocks me out. Make me want to grab the Simple Green and a brush. Well, sorta.
The rocker red spots are rock dings through the black rubbery paint to the plastic.
I'm gonna shoot from the hip and say $25-26K would be a good price for buyer and seller, with those miles and assuming no big problems.
GR/Cashmere is really about as common a color combo as you can get, except for the red seat piping.
Kind of an interesting speaker box deal he's got there. Could be removed if not to taste, I expect.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

I was thinking the same thing altarchsa - The red paint spatters underneath are odd for a car that appears (from the photos at least) to be well looked after. My friend is looking for a car he can keep and drive on weekends. He asked me fro an opinion, but I don't know enough about early 964 pricing to be of much help.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are about a million ways that car looks pristine. No doubt about it. BUT I am really skeptical about the paint on the belly pans. That is just plain wierd... Especially what looks like overspray in the included photo.

Also, it looks like the contrast on the photos has been pumped so high that its a little hard to judge the actual color. I'd want to take another look at the paint in real daylight.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

These cars were painted all over the place, to varying degrees, at the factory. That red is similar to what my car has in the same areas (minus the crud on mine), in about the same quantity - and mine has never had more than some touch-up around the cowl.

I would never buy car like this without the body and paint being checked, at least for paint thickness. But all the decals and labels are where they should be, all the parts look in place, and it's got the waffle paint on the wheel openings as you would expect. Unfortunately it's been bottomed out in a couple places, and it looks like the trunk pan might be dented. It's really clean, but 28K miles with a caring owner just wouldn't allow the scum to build up anywhere. I'd bet a box of donuts it's legit. At least I'd be confident enough to pursue further investigation.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
ian89C4
Pro

I call foul, that can't be a 964, way to clean!!

Very good looking car, but it does look like someone tried to "scrub" the bottom to clean it and removed some of the paint. Key thing is to make sure the anti-corrosion layer is still there, and they didn't scrub it off trying to get the car to show-room quality

Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very very nice, great documentation & have to assume 1 owner car.... (but imo flag mirrors & 3rd brakelight should go), plus manual trans & high quality audio install (altho subwoofers bit of overkill).
if ppi is solid have to expect price above $26k.

for the rest of us its nice to see that even in a pristine example the engine insulation (aka foam) still sags! what a stupid idea that was (even worse than 964 cab brakelight?)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has corrosion protection in place in the form of a thin film of oil and road scum. I don't see any paint on the bottom of mine at all.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Very nice looking car. Minor quibble, it needs a distributor vent.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt- please see your private message folder...

-Andrew
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
........GR/Cashmere is really about as common a color combo as you can get, except for the red seat piping..............
I have a Cashmere interior, so I agree that it's the most popular, after black maybe? But black on red on Cashmere, with an off-red piping that doesn't really match the Guards Red? We all seem to agree that it's a beautiful car, but based more on the condition than the features, I suspect. I don't think that a wide segment of the enthusiasts found here would trade their car, $ for $ in value, for this combo. But then, maybe a Tip Cabrio targets a different market.

If I were putting my money on the table, it wouldn't be for this car.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by altarchsa
I have a Cashmere interior, so I agree that it's the most popular, after black maybe? But black on red on Cashmere, with an off-red piping that doesn't really match the Guards Red? We all seem to agree that it's a beautiful car, but based more on the condition than the features, I suspect. I don't think that a wide segment of the enthusiasts found here would trade their car, $ for $ in value, for this combo. But then, maybe a Tip Cabrio targets a different market.

Tip What am I missing? That's a 5-spd.

The only black piece is just the dash, which was pretty standard I believe, unless there was a special order. The mats can be whatever color one wants, he obviously has a couple sets. The Cashmere has to be one of the most common interiors, but I'm not saying it's "popular". I think this combo was a very likely candidate when a dealer ordered a car for stock inventory. It wasn't my first choice when I was looking (prob one of my lowest), but I bought my car based on the outstanding condition, and I accepted the less desirable color. I never liked GR that much but it grew on me.

So the color combo is why I wouldn't figure on a value of more than around the $26K level. But colors and such are very subjective. Condition is not, and this car looks to be a legit 28K-mile car in outstanding condition. The biggest thing that would hold me back is the fact that it's a cab. But I'd have to consider this one because of the condition. If the price were right, well...

The only thing that bothers me about this particular one is that the seller advertises himself as a "restorer". If I'm looking at a car like this (for the price he's likely to want), I don't want "restored", I want "original". I'd want to go over this one with a fine-tooth comb, along with some sort of provenance, to be sure it was what I thought it was.

Originally Posted by altarchsa
We all seem to agree that it's a beautiful car...

So much of it is in the eye of the beholder. That's what makes these discussions fun.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
..............So much of it is in the eye of the beholder. That's what makes these discussions fun.
Yes, especially trying to guess what the market value is, based on how many people might like it, and how many of them will actually put how many dollars down on the barrel head. I don't disagree with your valuation.

I just missed the Tip issue. I misread a post. 5 speed ertainly makes it more desirable.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks all for your help. I'll let you know how it all pans out!

Quick Reply: Price opinions?