Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who rebuilds brake calipers / corrosion clean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Who rebuilds brake calipers / corrosion clean?

My rear calipers have the "blooming-aluminum" corrosion under the brake pad spring plates. I've read the info on here that you need to use acetylene to break the screw free that holds the spring plates on. And then you can clean out the corrosion.

I would much rather just send my calipers out than invest in a torch + headache. I figured that they could use a fresh powder coat at the same time.

Note- I don't have any caliper seal leaks that I'm aware of. So the rebuilding is mostly to clean corrosion.

Any tips on a willing shop? I'll send them all four calipers...
Old 04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Nick - Blair Talbot's shop does it. I attended a workshop last year and it was one of the things he mentioned. http://www.blairtalbotmotors.com/

No affiliations.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Please excuse the dumb question - Is this corrosion behind the spring plates the reason that a couple of my pads are Very tight and require a bit of filing to get them to slide in freely?
And, once you torch them to free the bolts, are you required to rebuild them due to damage to the seals?
I have read the threads on the repair, and am also not crazy about tackling the job.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks Rob - I'll check them out!

Darrell - I would say 'affirmative' to the reasoning why your pads are tight. That would make me concerned about the pads not releasing entirely too.

Not sure about seal damage. I'm more than happy to farm this one out after reading the repair threads.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Is this corrosion behind the spring plates the reason that a couple of my pads are Very tight and require a bit of filing to get them to slide in freely?
Yes

And, once you torch them to free the bolts, are you required to rebuild them due to damage to the seals?
Dunno. Haven't done it myself. Luckily I was able to scrape out the corrosion enough that my spring places moved back into position. But I was reading the threads too. It sounds like a daunting task.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Sten
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or.. MIG or TIG weld a nut to the spring plate retaining screws. That gives you something to grip to undo the little swines, and the quick burst of localised heat melts the threadlock that Porsche used. Zero damage to the seals.. And then take a file to the calipers and remove any corrosion from under the plates. Re-assemble with copper grease, job done.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut slots into the heads and then used a cold chisel. First screw took ages and a lot of patience but once I'd get the hang of it, had the rest out in no time.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
]And, once you torch them to free the bolts, are you required to rebuild them due to damage to the seals?
I have read the threads on the repair, and am also not crazy about tackling the job.
Right I did mine with the dust covers/pistons/ seals in place.

Onece I had finished I realised I was silly because I then took all that stuff out anyway because I fully stripped them to send them away for powder coating! Doh.

anyway to answer your question No, I managed to get the blow torch on the bolt heads without damageing the dust covers it was hard and restricted the time I could get the heat on the bolts.

then spent lots of time with a chisle tap taping away. Lots of time this is not an easy job IMO

I think if I had put more heat on it would have saved me a lot of time but I'll never know.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Dunno. Haven't done it myself. Luckily I was able to scrape out the corrosion enough that my spring places moved back into position.
How did you scrape out some of the corrosion? Seems difficult to get under the plates, but worth a try.

Interesting that only my rear calipers have this issue. And, of course, they are the buggers that are hard to get off.

Last edited by DWS964; 04-08-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: addition....
Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

I had the calipers in a vice on the bench and used an Xacto knife, various picks and slim screw drivers. The key was to hold the spring plate up enough to get the knife in but avoiding bending or damaging the spring. It probably took 1-2 hours per caliper. I wasn't able to reach all the way to the bottom of the spring plate, my knife wasn't long enough.

Bottom line - My way definitely helped but taking the spring plates off, scraping and resealing the metal underneath would be the proper way to fix it.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had severe corrosion on a set that I bought to replace my 2-pot rears. The first step is to figure out if the screws are hex or Torx, then get the correctly sized bit. I was able to remove 5 of the 8 (total for both) Torx screws "somewhat" easily.

For the others, I tried butane and propane heat - to no avail. Finally, we used Acetylene. I dialed it to a pencil tip flame and heated the screw head 'till it was cherry red - then removed the flame, waited 10 seconds, then more heat, again till cherry red, waited....then more heat! After the 3rd heat cycle, I unscrewed them with little effort. Now, my reason for 3 heat cycles:
the Locktite is on the bottom of the screw, so by heating the screw head, then waiting, I felt that it allowed the screw shaft to heat up in stages, all of the way to the bottom, without overheating the surrounding caliper metal.

Once off, I scraped and filed off all signs of "blooming" under the spring plates, applied a couple coats of paint, and let them dry.

I bought new spring plates and Torx screws (with the Locktite already applied), and reassembled them. To date......they are in good shape.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Any tips on a willing shop? I'll send them all four calipers...
Goldline brakes. Here's a link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...es-photos.html

Quick Reply: Who rebuilds brake calipers / corrosion clean?