MAF install report

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Racker79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF install report

Hi All,

I installed a MAF yesterday, it took me about 90 min thanks to the great write up here https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...-and-chip.html

First a the history of my mods. I installed an AcellRacing chip from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

After installing the chip and an K&N Filter the car came to life, I highly recommend the chip as the best value for money I spend on any car.

So now I enjoy the car and keep reading about the MAF and how great they are. Most of the info I found was always a MAF + Chip and the result was good. So since I already has a chip I did set my expectation to high.

The MAF is also from ebay here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The MAF is providing the same information that the original air flow meter the difference is the accuracy, less air flow restriction and speed the data is available to the ECU thanks to a little control unit which is plugged in-between the new MAF and the original plug translating the signals from the MAF to singals the ECU understands.

The verdict:

The MAF certainly improved the idle and the smoothens of the power deliver, I also believe that there is more pull from down low BUT comparing $1000 MAF with a $100 Chip there is not comparison if you after cheap HP increase.

However the MAF makes the car more modern and it fells better to drive especially reversing of taking off slowly.

However I would install one again especially if you think about exhaust work.

The next I am will be doing is to replace the air box with an cone and get a cat bypass and I would expect again a little bit more fun in the never ending quest for more power.

Best Regards
Stefan
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I still have the stock MAF but I've driven one with the new version. I can't say anything about power because the cars are very different. But what I really liked was the quicker/better throttle response, it felt like the engine could take "a bigger breath of air" when you hit the throttle. When I was back in my car it felt like it was breathing through a straw. Do you agree on this Stefan?

This difference alone could be a reason for me to do this mod, regardless of power increase.

Thomas
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Racker79
Intermediate

I agree with the breathing it just fells better, a little bit more light footed but not in the way of much huge power if that makes sense.

Especially if you have a look at the OE AFM and the new MAF you can tell that there is much less restrictions. Idle with the OE unit you can fell the bloody trapdoor being pushed open and feathers back , hence the really annoying idle sound.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah I understand what you mean, and I agree. Thanks.

Thomas
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racker79,

did I understand correctly you don't need to change your chip? Does your car feel more torquey below 4000 rpms, or is it just smoothness involved in this upgrade? I'm after torque/response from 2000 to 4000 rpms.... what would you suggest?

thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Racker79
Intermediate

Hi Antonio,

no you don't have to change the chip specifically for the MAF.

The MAF was noticeable but not so much that I would recommend it if you after a increase in torque specifically. But saying that I "think" that the tourque has increased when I drive in 3rd at a speed of 60kmh it pulls nicely but not worth $1000 purly for that.

I reckon if you after a huge increase in low end grunt you don't get around a supercharger.

If you don't have a chip yet I highly recommend it.

Stefan
Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by Racker79
Hi Antonio,

no you don't have to change the chip specifically for the MAF.

The MAF was noticeable but not so much that I would recommend it if you after a increase in torque specifically. But saying that I "think" that the tourque has increased when I drive in 3rd at a speed of 60kmh it pulls nicely but not worth $1000 purly for that.

I reckon if you after a huge increase in low end grunt you don't get around a supercharger.

If you don't have a chip yet I highly recommend it.

Stefan
Stefan,

I run a Steve Wong chip and I'm quite happy with it, but I'd like some more response at low revs... don't want to go to supercharger route, I don't mean to stress my engine more than it was meant for...

ciao
Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was wondering about the(Buy it Now) $45.00 dollar price of the chip. Most performance chips(Steve Wong, etc...) are in the $400.00-500.00 range. What am I missing?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Racker79
Intermediate

I was wondering the same thing when I was looking for one. For $300 your can get eprom programmers which allow you to copy any eprom, this may have something to do with it.

All I can say that I am hapy with my AccellRacing chip for 45 pound.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
anto1150
Pro

I was wondering the same thing when I was looking for one. For $300 your can get eprom programmers which allow you to copy any eprom, this may have something to do with it.

All I can say that I am hapy with my AccellRacing chip for 45 pound.
Have you checked for any detonation?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Racker79
Intermediate

Certainly no pre ignition.

The ECU gets information from two kock sensors and would retart the timing if required. The same with the O2 sensor in the exhasust if the ecu detects too rich or too lean it could compinsate for it. If you had a chip which is way outside of the operating parameters the car wouldn't run properly and you proberly get the engine warning light swtiched on.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 PM
anto1150
Pro

Certainly no pre ignition.

The ECU gets information from two kock sensors and would retart the timing if required. The same with the O2 sensor in the exhasust if the ecu detects too rich or too lean it could compinsate for it. If you had a chip which is way outside of the operating parameters the car wouldn't run properly and you proberly get the engine warning light swtiched on.
Not exactly... some light detonation could happen and not being noticed... happened to many... only way to know is through the hammer/diagnose.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by newsboy
I was wondering about the(Buy it Now) $45.00 dollar price of the chip. Most performance chips(Steve Wong, etc...) are in the $400.00-500.00 range. What am I missing?
I just bought an unused SW chip from a guy in this this forum for $290. Regular price is $375, so not quite as bad as you think.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Racker79
Intermediate

Hi Antonino,

that is a good point and I gues if the knock sensors constaintly detecting knocks and the ecu has to t correct is not the best senario.

Stefan
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Racker79
Intermediate

Thumbs up UPDATE

Hello All,

I pulled out the MAF and installed the stock air flow meter to see the difference.

I must say straight away I was missing the low down torque.

1. Sitting in 3rd gear at a speed of 50 - 60 km/h, under 3000rpm and accelerate. With MAF the engine feels eggier to get to work with the stock item you are waiting for it to wake up. It is not neck braking acceleration but so much better that the Stock AFM.

2. Idle. With the Stock AFM the idle is annoying the hell out of me. The constant surging is not cool.

3. Top end Power, under full acceleration you do not feel a difference between the MAF and the stock unit.

4. Acceleration, the engine seems to rev quicker to the redline.

Conclusion:
$1000 is a lot of money but I would buy the MAF again, for me it belongs to the default updates / refinements for a 964.
The car feels fresh and delivers smooth modern car like power.

Future upgrades:
Cat bypass. A logical step, the MAF allows more air in now I need to get more air out.

Best Regards

Stefan

Quick Reply: MAF install report