Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" Sport Classic II replicas installed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 AM
beben4512
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
Those look great!! I have been running 17" sport classics and like them, but gotta admit, the 18's look better!!

Can someone please comment regarding the Porsche warnings about 18's on the 964 and what mods are required (or at least recommended) before running 18's?

Thanks!
Thank you for your cooperation. Any questions can be asked here or in the announcement update (the original announcement has been closed for replies).

Watch FiFa World Cup 2010 Online

Last edited by beben4512; 06-07-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Very nice. Any idea how much they weigh?

Am going to 18 as well, and seriously looking to get the OZ Allegerita HLTs due to lightness and fitment, but really prefer OEM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Those look great!! I have been running 17" sport classics and like them, but gotta admit, the 18's look better!!

Can someone please comment regarding the Porsche warnings about 18's on the 964 and what mods are required (or at least recommended) before running 18's?

Thanks!
The worst thing that's going to happen is a complete suspension failure (probably at the front), then you'll loose control (because you'll be going pretty fast when this happens), crash and die a horrible, painful death (likely immolation).

The good news is you're gonna look GREAT doing the aforementioned and there are worse ways to go than at the wheel of your 964;-)
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Those look great, and the price is right. Where are these wheels made? Would look nice on my 93.
The seller claimed they are made in Italy but I highly doubt it. For the price, I am guessing China or somewhere similar. However, the finish is excellent and I wouldn't be able to decipher them from BBS wheels if they had the casted offsets near the valve stems.

Very nice. Any idea how much they weigh?
The seller emailed me the weights but I can't put my hands on the email. I do remember that the rears weigh less than the BBS 18" x 10" rears and required spacers would.

The worst thing that's going to happen is a complete suspension failure (probably at the front), then you'll loose control (because you'll be going pretty fast when this happens), crash and die a horrible, painful death (likely immolation).
I've done the ton (100mph) and no problems so far. Let's hope the luck continues! I am actually really impressed with the ride quality of the new setup. Stiff but definitely not harsh...feels the way a sports car should!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2

The good news is you're gonna look GREAT doing the aforementioned and there are worse ways to go than at the wheel of your 964;-)
WTF? forgive me for expectng some legit replies.....
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM
bobster964
Advanced

I would stick with the 17" Sport Classics. I don't think they look that different.
And now I see the photo of your car I've realised it was yours that prompted me to look out for a set for mine, which I now have. So thanks for that :-)
Anyway, one day those beautiful looking 18" split rims will corrode within the joint. Guaranteed!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:53 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the reply was meant in good fun--not to be dismissive or disrespectful.

Original question:
I don't believe there are any Factory recommendations or bulletins that would ensure the safe use of 18's on a NB 964.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyway, one day those beautiful looking 18" split rims will corrode within the joint. Guaranteed!
Guaranteed? What do I win if they don't? While the originals are 2 pieces, mine are actually a 1 piece casted design. I don't intend to participate in a flame war but I think it is pretty antagonistic for you to go out of your way and guarantee my wheels will have issues. Worst case scenario I will have them powder coated and still be well under the cost of an OEM set if they do ever corrode.

I respect the opinions of those who will only run OEM wheels. After researching the topic of replica vs. OEM, I was comfortable going with replicas for street use and saving my D-90s for potential track use.

I thought the reply was meant in good fun--not to be dismissive or disrespectful.
That's what I thought as well Joey.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Grow a sense of humour.

You might be able to deduce from my sig that I was joking given the setup I'm running.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
Guaranteed? What do I win if they don't? While the originals are 2 pieces, mine are actually a 1 piece casted design. I don't intend to participate in a flame war but I think it is pretty antagonistic for you to go out of your way and guarantee my wheels will have issues. Worst case scenario I will have them powder coated and still be well under the cost of an OEM set if they do ever corrode.

I respect the opinions of those who will only run OEM wheels. After researching the topic of replica vs. OEM, I was comfortable going with replicas for street use and saving my D-90s for potential track use.

That's what I thought as well Joey.
You got it!

Seriously...I think the strong warning re: running 18s are just Porsche engineers being Porsche engineers. At least as a street car driven occasionally I doubt the forces are much greater than on 17's. 100,000 miles on this setup or serious and consistent track use...well what do I know? It might cause a failure.

I'm experiencing great ride quality (probably the PS2s) and nice sharp turn-in as well.

Quick Reply: 18" Sport Classic II replicas installed...