Sponsored by:

New America GS Engine -- It Starts

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Many out there in tuner land have great theories and ideas, some can even show results demonstrable in an environment (in this case, a dyno) other than their own. I hope we will find better answers for the air cooled engine than those at Porsche but, and forgive me, I am skeptical.
Well said Sir. The air-cooled 911 engine was in constant development during it's ~35 year life span. Porsche did a pretty good job of getting RELIABLE, DURABLE HP from said engine.

Is there more power to be had? Probably.

Is there more power to be had while maintaining durability?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

My current guess is that getting much above 400 HP in a reliable, long term engine would be an achievement. Some claim higher numbers but until I see it on the Porsche dyno, I will remain doubtful, no matter how many other graphs, charts, statements, promises, etc. are presented. In any instance, I hope someone can can do this as I would like the America GS, at below 2100 lbs., to have a more favorable power to weight ratio than the Carrera GT.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your goal with this? Do you hope to produce and market parts or will it be complete turn-key engines?
Or maybe its just all good fun?!!

'93rsa 3.8
Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Cartridge is not in the business of selling retail parts or engines. Indeed, with respect, I have successfully dissuaded all who have asked about buying any parts used in the America GS from doing so.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm suprised at the lack of carbon fiber on that engine...Carbon fiber fan might be neat !
Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

First test engine on engine dyno was a legitmate 392 HP. Second version with test parts less than 370 HP. Third engine ready for testing in a few weeks when new cams completed.
Holy schnikes, those are silly big numbers! Good luck, keep us informed.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 AM
ACSGP
Pro

My current guess is that getting much above 400 HP in a reliable, long term engine would be an achievement. Some claim higher numbers but until I see it on the Porsche dyno, I will remain doubtful, no matter how many other graphs, charts, statements, promises, etc. are presented. In any instance, I hope someone can can do this as I would like the America GS, at below 2100 lbs., to have a more favorable power to weight ratio than the Carrera GT.
Robert - how are you getting the tip to handle all the torque?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The engine will go in the GS?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your foundation is very sound here, but it sounds like you are trying to call people out.

I am sure you are not aiming this at Colin, but if so his results speak for themselves. He doesn't need me to take up for him, but his results have been confirmed independently and his cars' records on track speak for themselves. The only reason I bring that up is that he is one of the few I know how claim 400+ hp on a 993NA.

We all know we can't bolt on 100 hp, as companies like Fabspeed may have us believe.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Robert looks good, you say it has A/C yet I see no pulley for the A/C belt how do you plan on running the A/C?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Remember this is only a test engine for dyno -- which is also why no A/C pulley (which, by the way, is titanium). The final one going into the America GS will have an appropriate use of carbon composites in a variety of components such as wrist pins, the induction system, cam covers, engine cradle, blade mounting bracket, rigid engine mounts, bypass pipe, wire manager, etc., etc. As to the fan, as it is already magnesium, transforming it into carbon would accomplish little if anything given the need for a mounting hub in metal and balancing issues.

Regarding the Tiptronic, it was specicially built by Porsche AG for increased torque.

Finally, I am not trying to "call people out". I am, however, skeptical of horsepower claims (be they from engine work, induction systems, exhaust systems, etc.) including when "confirmed" by a chassis dyno and/or from track records as these could (and usually do) result from a multitude of factors. When I see the numbers on a certified Porsche engine dyno I will believe them.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:32 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

I don't get it.
You'll build a superior engine, with new technologies, increased HP, and put it in a car that will not be driven, while at the same time raising doubts as to the HP claims of others.
How will we know if the retained solutions you will apply to this engine, aside from giving better HP, will have any real life durability?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:59 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I question no one's claims. I simply say, in an objective and demonstrable way, show me. Second, as to durability, we can run engines for large numbers of hours to establish this. Third, generally, the more HP, the more stress which would make an engine less durable. And, p.s., no one has to send an engine -- all I ask is that no one expect me to believe until I can verify. And, p.p.s., I do not not know, and would certainly not opine, if a better (e.g., for this discussion, more HP and torque over a broader RPM range and longer lasting) engine can be built by anyone than, e.g., the air cooled engines built by Porsche Motorsport almost 15 years ago. P.P.P.S., no one will be more thrillled than I if an appropriate engine can be found without any further work or expense on my part. My "problem" is that I will not fool myself as to what we can do, nor as to what others may claim, so I say remove all doubt by putting it on the engine dyno.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

You are correct, you are not doubting other people's claims, only their results, or their measuring methods.

In the case of the GS, durability and longevity claims can not be made, since it will not be driven.
When I buy an engine , or any part, I want real life durability and longevity, not dyno hours testing. This is why (I think?) manufacturers do real-life testing.

Please do not think this rude or obnoxious, but we will not be accepting the "results" of others, particularly as many have chassis rather than certified engine dynos which can produce varying results and others just plain tend to exaggerate and/or show results subject to numerous questions and issues. Further, the engine will be reviewed not just for HP (anyone can over stress an engine to produce HP) but for durability, longevity and replicability.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

But, Sir, dyno testing is where it starts. If, e.g., an engine is 100 HP less than claimed when put on an engine dyno, I can assure you it will not get more powerful in subsequent field testing.

Quick Reply: New America GS Engine -- It Starts