Sponsored by:

Fabspeed catback vs. header system

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 AM
weissk911
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evan,

I just bought a 90' 964 with a stainless headers into a 3-1 combination pipe and two (one per bank) small millers. It is a pure track car and is VERY loud. Do you have a two in two out solution for that?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
I'm not sure where all the comments come from about the system not increasing power. It is a lightweight, track oriented system (thus the name "RSR Header-Muffler Kit") that does increase power pretty substantially from stock. On a stock 964 we have seen 25whp gains with the header muffler kit. Can one make good power with other exhaust combinations? Sure.
That Dyno run is very similar to the one I had done on my C2 with cat bypass and Cup pipe, a $400.00 upgrade as compared to $2600.00, with better sound and no DRONE.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by crg53
That Dyno run is very similar to the one I had done on my C2 with cat bypass and Cup pipe, a $400.00 upgrade as compared to $2600.00, with better sound and no DRONE.

This is an RSR track kit - some drone is to be expected. However, we found a lot of street customers (such as yourself) wanted to run this kit and did not want any drone, so I designed a muffler that has zero drone and pick ups some low end torque at the same time, for street guys.

Like I said earlier, there are many other exhaust combinations that a stock or mostly stock car can bolt on to give similar gains. Fabpseed offers those and certainly our sales guys are not going to push a $2600 system when the customer only wants a little more sound and power. However, at a certain point, the single outlet, stock style system will hurt power - most 964 guys are not at that point though.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
This is an RSR track kit - some drone is to be expected. However, we found a lot of street customers (such as yourself) wanted to run this kit and did not want any drone, so I designed a muffler that has zero drone and pick ups some low end torque at the same time, for street guys.

Like I said earlier, there are many other exhaust combinations that a stock or mostly stock car can bolt on to give similar gains. Fabpseed offers those and certainly our sales guys are not going to push a $2600 system when the customer only wants a little more sound and power. However, at a certain point, the single outlet, stock style system will hurt power - most 964 guys are not at that point though.

Chris, that I can fully agree with.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, is the header muffler setup too loud for a daily driver? The videos on YouTube dont really tell the full story to me.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
So, is the header muffler setup too loud for a daily driver? The videos on YouTube dont really tell the full story to me.
If you request the street V3 muffler, there won't be any drone and I think it is a very good volume for a street car. On the Andial built 3.8 993 with Cup airbox, I hear a lot of induction noise as well as exhaust on full throttle - this tells me the exhaust isn't too loud. The newest youtube video is of the V3 muffler.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Does that car have cats or no?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Does that car have cats or no?
No cats
Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Well I'm just gonna do it. Seems like a lot of power to leave on the table. I'm sure if i didnt id regret it. Besides, I'm sure there are ways to quiet it down.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Well I'm just gonna do it. Seems like a lot of power to leave on the table. I'm sure if i didnt id regret it. Besides, I'm sure there are ways to quiet it down.

You will also need a chip or rolling road remap if you want to achieve the HP in the graf above. The same HP can be reached with a Steve Wong chip, cat bypass and a cup pipe or a G- pipe for a lot less money and better sound to boot.
You should really talk to someone like Steve Weiner at Rennsports, he can guide you in the right direction to the best combination for your particular needs.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

^^ im taking the advice of my engine builder bill pfister at eurotech advanced automotive. also choosing a new set of cams currently as my stock ones arent in good shape. a steve wong chip is in order as well.

thanks for the advice though. this forum has been an invaluable source so far. a lot of really good, knowledgable people here willing to help out.

in all honesty, do you think you can achieve the same power level all things equal, one car with headers the other without?
im at a point where the entire motor and trans are being rebuilt.. i want to do it once and do it right. i know myself well enough to know that if i hadnt gone for the headers, and left a solid hp gain on the table, id be kicking myself in 6 months time. too many "what ifs" know what i mean?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

On a stock engine you can gain that amount of HP. I had mine Dynoed earlier this year, and it's identical to the Fabspeed graph. My engine has the cat bypass, cup pipe and SW chip.
The most important part of adding parts to an engine is that they have synergy so you can optimize the performance, and only a good engine tuner can do that, not a seller of aftermarket exhausts. The cup exhaust was designed by Porsche and will get you the best bang for your $ up to about 300 Hp, after that you need headers, head work and intake mods.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info. Hopefully worth the hotter set of cams the headers will be even more worth while. I want a hot rod 911, guess it will at least sound the part for now haha
Old 11-27-2013, 03:09 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 80 Posts

well, on my "new" engine was done some head-work, schrick cam-kit, updated compression ratio (to spec), manifolds 993RS and a remap. I`ve cuppipe, 200cell cat and stock airbox.

The car runs awesome. It revs like crazy.

My porsche - workshop does some motorsport and has a lot of motorsport guys on its customers-list. He developed an own header-/exhaust kit.

Here a pic from the heat-/cat-less race version:

When we spoke about my engine spec, we came to the header kit. The kit isnt`t that expensive (~5k$ with kat and heat with tüv approval - which is cheapest head-kat-header kit in germany) but he told me that it isn`t necessary for my summer-hobby/daily car. And he was right!

regards thilo

PS: in future - surely i`ll order the exhaust for my car... :-)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

looks awesome Roland ... but will it fit?! (assuming thats the 964 version in your pic)
... and if so, what's it weigh?

Quick Reply: Fabspeed catback vs. header system