HELP finding used Cabriolet part!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck
rswan55,

The top goes up and down manually. I would not dare hooking it back up for automatic operation as I do not think everything is lined up. I just sanwiched the plate between folding part and the seal. Looks okay, but would rather have a non-broken part.

944/951guy,

My email is mgduckworth@msn.com if you have the other side as well.

Thanks.
PM Sent.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 AM
rswan55
Intermediate

Default GREAT!!

Originally Posted by CBR786
I have complete frame in good condition with a tatty hood attached to it rear window cracked etc I am gonna part out this frame on ebay only problem is I am in UK shipping cost shouldnt be much thought and if it help the car I own is a california import
Email me at swanrs@comcast.net...i'd love to buy that part from you.

Rich
Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi rswan55,

Looks like we need to find the same part. I was thinking you needed the driver side by the part number. Good luck. If the UK option does not work out for you and I find another source, I will let you know. My steel plate will hold up for now and I plan to have the top down for most of the summer (since the ac is not working) anyway.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
rswan55
Intermediate

Default Hey Duck

Originally Posted by Duck
Hi rswan55,

Looks like we need to find the same part. I was thinking you needed the driver side by the part number. Good luck. If the UK option does not work out for you and I find another source, I will let you know. My steel plate will hold up for now and I plan to have the top down for most of the summer (since the ac is not working) anyway.

Good luck.
I'll do the same. I'm actually taking it to 2 welders today to see what they think. I spoke to a great guy from this forum yesterday who knows of a welding shop near Cleveland that has welded them before with good success. So, we could always consider shipping to them to have it welded. Good luck. Keep in touch.

Rich
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Default Update...

My shop found a local guy who was confident he could weld it ($75). Talked to shop today and he got it back this morning - looks great - and is putting it back together after doing slight repair to top fabric. Hopefully, I can pick it up tomorrow!! Gonna be sunny and 60 here in Chicago this weekend!

I do think I'm going to go the "manual" top route from here on. Just can't live with the anxiety each time I go to put her up or down.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Rich
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 AM
beetle63
8th Gear

Just had my driver's side welded. The welder said it was pot metal, but later recanted and said it was aluminum. Did a fine job... a little finish grinding and a coat of gloss black and it looks great. $75 versus over a thousand dollars for a new part. Right now, I'm opening/closing manually. BTW, anyone know where I can get instructions for adjusting/aligning the top?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Default Finished! Good as new!!

Originally Posted by beetle63
Just had my driver's side welded. The welder said it was pot metal, but later recanted and said it was aluminum. Did a fine job... a little finish grinding and a coat of gloss black and it looks great. $75 versus over a thousand dollars for a new part. Right now, I'm opening/closing manually. BTW, anyone know where I can get instructions for adjusting/aligning the top?
Picked her up yesterday - almost verbatim experience as Beetle63. Said it was pot metal, ended up being aluminum, welded great and finished with a nice gloss black paint. $75 for the welding, $75 for minor top repair, and $300 for labor to remove and replace. I couldn't be happier. Got her back yesterday while it was sunny and 67 here in Chicago!! Great day for the top to be down! I kept it working on auto - everything checked out fine. Just chopping it up my my inexperience and not having the back seats folded down (they were actually reclined) and holding the switch for too long. May eventually switch to fully manual, but for now will leave this way. Thanks again for everyone's help/advice.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would you need to fold the rear seats down?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Default not folded down...per se

Originally Posted by jimq
Why would you need to fold the rear seats down?
But the kids had "reclined" them back, and I think that restricted the top from folding all the way down. They just need to be in the "upright" position, not reclined.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rswan55
Picked her up yesterday - almost verbatim experience as Beetle63. Said it was pot metal, ended up being aluminum, welded great and finished with a nice gloss black paint. $75 for the welding, $75 for minor top repair, and $300 for labor to remove and replace. I couldn't be happier. Got her back yesterday while it was sunny and 67 here in Chicago!! Great day for the top to be down! I kept it working on auto - everything checked out fine. Just chopping it up my my inexperience and not having the back seats folded down (they were actually reclined) and holding the switch for too long. May eventually switch to fully manual, but for now will leave this way. Thanks again for everyone's help/advice.
please - so for manual operation, just loosen/leave loose the "rear lug nuts" and engage the top down/up switch only at the point when you require it to engage the motors on the top of the windshield??
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rswan55
But the kids had "reclined" them back, and I think that restricted the top from folding all the way down. They just need to be in the "upright" position, not reclined.
I never have noticed any difference with my seats up or down matter of fact I usually keep one up and one down. How can you recline them?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you recline them?
I had the same question here?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 PM
rswan55
Intermediate

Default back seats

I never have noticed any difference with my seats up or down matter of fact I usually keep one up and one down. How can you recline them?
Mine will "recline" a few inches if I push down on the ****. When "reclined", they interfere with the top trying to get to the full down position. My convertible top guy said to be safe, just drop the seats down, then bring the top down, then put the seats back up.

Quick Reply: HELP finding used Cabriolet part!!