Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Insert favorite 4-letter word here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (Insert favorite 4-letter word here)

Got broadsided this morning by a guy on a motorcycle He swerved toward the front of the car at the last second so the impact occurred at a forward moving angle..... I think the area just behind my passenger-side tire took most of the damage (from the M/C's front tire).

Edited to add: I drove the car home (about a mile) and the front end appeared to be fine (at low speeds anyway). Haven't seen any signs of leaking oil, etc.

The passenger side door *seems* to be fine but rubs a bit on the forward edge on opening. The front bonnet opens fine and everything seems ok there. I haven't had a chance to really check it out more thoroughly yet though. Can I hope that it's just body panel damage?

Oh BTW, the brown wet spots on the car are from the coffee he was carrying (I'm not sure how - he definitely wasn't paying attention).
Attached Images        
Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear - looks mostly cosmetic but there are some important oil lines in there as you already know so you'll have to take the rocker panel and front wheelwell cover off to inspect.

Marc
Old 03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did he fall off?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motorcycle with coffee in hand? Keep that in case the lawyers get involved.
Sorry to hear about both parties...
Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Damned latte'-sippin' motorsickles!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:44 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that as well. Fortunately he wasn't driving a dump truck. It's Friday so I'm staying positive. Maybe a good time to take care of any rock chips?? Again...I know it sucks...just trying to look at the bright side.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Cafe-racer! Did he end up on the ground!
Sorry.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Sorry to hear - looks mostly cosmetic but there are some important oil lines in there as you already know so you'll have to take the rocker panel and front wheelwell cover off to inspect.

Marc
Yep, looks like I dodged a bullet on the oil lines. One of them is pinched in a bit around the point of impact, but from what I can tell is fine (won't be able to tell until the front wing/fender is off though).
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Cafe-racer! Did he end up on the ground!
Yeah on the ground with a few bruises and abrasions, one good gash that will require stitches.

First thing he said was, "I think you owe me a new coffee".

My response: "No, you owe me a new car". (or at least a new paint job).

Unfortunately, if I were to have door dings and minor rock chips repaired, it would have been on the drivers side. Other than that, the paint was in 90-95% condition.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

what are the facts of loss? Did you pull out on a road or did the motorcyle pull out? The guy on the bike is lucky he didn't die. Sorry for your loss to the car, it is painfull but it will get corrected.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How in the world does someone ride a bike and drink coffee.

Not very well, obviously.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
paa502
Pro

Condolences. Looks ugly now, wont for long.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by dblvanos
what are the facts of loss? Did you pull out on a road or did the motorcyle pull out? The guy on the bike is lucky he didn't die. Sorry for your loss to the car, it is painfull but it will get corrected.
M/C blew through a yield sign (city streets) and broadsided me... luckily it was a pretty low-speed thing (around 25 mph or maybe less)... I locked up the brakes in the last second and he swerved at the last second so it could have been a lot worse.

He was basically stopped when I approached the intersection but then accelerated right into me at the last moment.... maybe Slate Grey is too stealthy? Repaint to one of the nice GT3RS dayglo colors?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
How in the world does someone ride a bike and drink coffee.

Not very well, obviously.
Heh I dunno if he was actually drinking it or not (probably not) but he admitted to being 'distracted'.

I suspect the guy will probably pay more attention on his morning commutes from now on. Funny, the worst drivers I generally see around here are in Subaru Outbacks with 3 or 4 dogs jumping around, a Starbucks cup in one hand, and the cellphone in the other.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

As mad as you must be at the moment, you'll probably agree that later you'll be thankful that no on was killed. You probably would like to change that at the moment if you feel like I did a few years back.

Back in 87, I was driving my 75 911S with only 15K miles when a bicyclist ran into my front right as I entered a motor bank downtown. He was riding down the sidewalk, looking over his shoulder at two girls on the other side of the street. It was like the slow motion "this guy's gonna lean on my car commercial". I knew for a couple of seconds that it was going to happen but there was nothing I could do. Ran into the front right and did a perfect barrel roll into the center of my hood, crushing it.

Worst part is you probably feel like what a woman must feel like when she's raped. No amount of repair will bring the car back to it's previous condition. Mine was never the same.

Sorry. Good luck getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: (Insert favorite 4-letter word here)