signs of dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM
fogcity123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default signs of dead battery?

I have a toppic "car dies" listed. Here's the update:

Been no problem until today. I get to work after a 2 mile drive. Park, try to restart, and get the dash lights and a "click" but it doesnt turn over. Try again and now no dash lights, nothing. I cant even lock the door - no juice. I clean the posts, re-attached the cables and now can lock the doors. I turn key, get dash lights, but it doesn't turn over. I jump the battery with another car, tuns over, and drive the mile back home. There, I start and stop the car 3 rimes no problem. It would certainly seem like a battery issue but when it starts, it seems strong (starter turns easily, no lagging). Do batteries just die all at once, instead of petering out, or does this sound like some other electrical issue?

Also, a couple weeks ago it was dead after not being started for 10 days. I jumped it then and haven't had a problem until today (or until Sunday when I described the problem in my 'car dies' thread). Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

this topic has been covered to death in the past few years . Try doing a search on 'flat battery' or 'earthing problems' etc

I suspect that you have poor earthing connections which need cleaning. If you search the forum there are some electrical schematics and earthing point schematics.

I would suggest that you get your battery tested at a battery shop or put a good battery on the car and see what happens.

obvious places to check are earthing from bulkhead to engine and clean and check the conections to the starter motor.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a known good battery in , try your car out , is it better or the same same ?
Batteries can die in the blink of an eye , they do not all fade away slowly .

Quick Reply: signs of dead battery?