Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need trouble shooting help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should also consider creating a manual override switch for the cooling fans. There is a method described here somewhere in a DIY where you insert a switch in the #16 wire (double check that before you do anything) out of the back of the climate control box. With that line on a switch, you can force the oil cooler fans to go on manually from the dashboard. I use this during the summer, and it keeps the oil temps below the 9:00 position at all times. Its worth it to keep the temps down in hot traffic.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the Porsche agents serviced the car, checked the fuel filter and pressure, cleaned the filter, battery charged and checked, and I got the car back.

Seemed fine, until I was leaving a car park, and was stuck on a fairly steep slope near the exit. Same thing happened, couldn't rev past 2000 rpm, and the engine was running badly and backfiring slightly. Could be one bank of cylinders wasn't getting a supply of something, either sparks or fuel. Problem came off and on after that incident. Going back to the agents again.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 PM
h_walker
Intermediate

I had a bad wire in the Air Flow meter connector do something similar to me where the car went into limp mode then shut down altogether. My mechanic did not have a spare connector so he replaced the wire, that was over 2 years ago.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:40 AM
ACSGP
Pro

I've got the car back, and seems to be driving nicely.

Apparently, it's the ignition coil what was shorting intermittently. In my non-mech mind, isn't the ignition coil only used at start-up?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your ignition coils convert battery current into the spark which is transmitted via the distributor, plug wires and spark plugs into the combustion chamber in each cylinders. They're located on the left side of the engine compartment near the rear fuse/relay box.

I believe you're thinking of the starter motor which is only used at start up.

Quick Reply: Need trouble shooting help